Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for some pontoon advice
[quote flygoddess]DING, DING, Ding...you nailed it so on the head there Koch.

Pontoon, I respectfully disagree that size of person OR the type of fishing is a factor when choosing a pontoon. I think that is miss leading the new comer or at least, making it harder than it need to be. I was not aware there was pontoons for big or small, or that there is a pontoon for Bass, or Trout, or whatever.

Sorry, not trying to make it harder for anyone, but Jer has some experience with a tube already and plans to go out about once a week, not a new comer? There are pontoons starting at just under 6' and going at least to 10'. http://www.4seasonsfly.com/11939/234630/...ekker.html and http://creekcompany.com/product.php?prod...254&page=1
I wouldn't use the Discovery in bumpy salt water or if my weight was 300# nor the XR 10 in narrow rivers with overhanging branches if my weight was 95#, too hard to control. That's all that I meant, and I didn't refer to any type of fish. Pat just traded back to his old tube because of the type of kicking he does. Some of these things are not discovered until a tube or toon is used for awhile.

As far as using the boat, you CAN use it up to ice on and right at ice off...some of the best fishing at that time.

Yes, I see Pat fishes in ice and goes out very often. That probably averages over once a week.

How do you figure your back gets wetter with a pontoon that a V? If the water is that rough, slapping of the V will cause water to hit you. I will say I have got splashed on, but generally the pontoon rolls with the waves, my U toon can slap the water. I guess I am not seeing what you are saying.

I just know my back get wetter with my 6' Discovery pontoon than with my 5.5' ODC 420 tube all conditions being equal, heading the points into the waves/wind going backwards. My guess is that the water that makes it over the point of the ODC is less because of the flat storage area blocking or that the spray is blocked by the seat back and rolls down into the storage behind the seat. There is a chap on the Texas forum that claims he can go in 20mph winds... Another possibility is that the ODC is slower and kicks up less spray?

What did I gain by pointing all this out is what I am asking myself now? Just trying to clarify, not contradict your opinions which are quite valid from your viewpoint....

jer_fishes, weather permitting, a bunch of us are heading to Strawberry for the 5th of Oct. We have just about every style of pontoon there if you wanna join us.[/quote]
[signature]
Hey everyone thanks again lots to think about. I'll be shopping around looking for the best deal

FG I wish I could, but I'm in Texas finishing school until mid-December [frown] thanks for the invite though[Wink]
[signature]
Open invitation for the new year then.... That Sky is a heck of a boat. Same frame I have on my X5.
[signature]
I'll take you up on that invitation when i get back, and I'll definitely check out the Scadden [Wink]
[signature]
Ya'll are absolutely awesome! jer_fishes - hope you appreciate what a treasure you have here! A simple question, and a plethora of answers. And not short curt, but detailed, thought out, a wealth of experience!!!

I don't even tube or toon - but thank you all for your insight.

[center]flabbergasted!
[/center]
[quote CoyoteSpinner]Ya'll are absolutely awesome! jer_fishes - hope you appreciate what a treasure you have here! A simple question, and a plethora of answers. And not short curt, but detailed, thought out, a wealth of experience!!!

I don't even tube or toon - but thank you all for your insight.

[center]flabbergasted!
[/center][/quote]

Wanna try one?[Wink][cool]
[signature]
Agreed Coyote!! All you guys have saved me much time and heartache....AND CASH[Wink]...dunno if i could say it enough, but thank you!!
[signature]
"I don't even tube or toon - but thank you all for your insight."

[cool][#0000ff]That doesn't make you a bad person. But you got that covered pretty well in other areas.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You need to add some inflation to your arsenal.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[quote TubeDude]"I don't even tube or toon - but thank you all for your insight."

[cool][#0000ff]That doesn't make you a bad person. But you got that covered pretty well in other areas.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You need to add some inflation to your arsenal.[/#0000ff][/quote]
Do you really know me that well?
Actually have a couple inflatables - a kiddy boat (they call it a 3 man - I don't know WHO they're kidding! And a "kayak" - more like a canoe with a Kayak paddle - Sadly one pup decided it'd make a good chew toy. The big patch holds - for a while... but it was fun getting on top of fish. I was amazed at what I could see from "above" at 1st-2nd-3rd dams in Logan river!

But now I've collected way to many rods and lures to fit them littel tugs...speaking of collecting - don't see you've changed your Avatar yet. Are you still swapping toons, or have ya moved onto the new ride yet?

[quote FlyGodess]
Wanna try one?[img]../../../images/gforum/Wink.gif[/img][img]../../../images/gforum/cool.gif[/img]
[/quote]
Actually yes, but don't think I'm as thick skinned as "The Dude" - probably prefer to wait for warmer weathers to return. But all that "Fin-Esse-ing" does appeal (pun intended). Had been tempted by some back-pack styles - for the sheer access opportunities.
Next thing I know - you'll be asking me to fling a fairy wand! Though I'll confess - I did just pick up a Fly-Tying kit "Jackson Cardinal" - I'm sure I could benefit from parts upgrades. But alas, new toyz to tinker with!

TIA - maybe a raincheck for now, or call that an ice-check!
Depending on which one you try you might not even get wet. I only get wet on my avenger when I purposely go through wakes. Plus gas motor on a pontoon is always a win
[signature]
"Are you still swapping toons, or have ya moved onto the new ride yet?"

[cool][#0000ff]I have put up several posts on this matter...first, reselling the toon and then reporting on being back in the Fat Cat. You gotta pay 'tention.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]Loved the Renegade but it was not suitable for my way of using it...like a float tube. Took more of my declining energy to push it around all day and whupped my old butt. I did not use the oars...as it is intended...so no advantage there. And the motor was hard to steer without using my fins so no real advantage there over the tube.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]The Renny already has a new home.[/#0000ff]
[signature]