Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for gear recommendations!
Just looking for some gear at a reasonable price. Im a full time college student with a part time job so im looking for the best bang for my very few bucks. ill list what im looking for along with what i actually have or used.

Waders- bought some $12 pvc waders at big 5 and they tore the first time out. looking for some that will of course keep me dry and be able to breath, with or with out boots attached and good for wading in partially frozen rivers.

Wading boots- dont have any haha just use Under Armour Quick Trainers because they dry fast and wont soak up much water.

Vest- again dont have one. i just use a hunting fanny pack that i rigged as more of a small backpack. basically just looking for one that doesnt scream NEWBIE!

Reel- not sure what i have, it came in a beginners kit i got for christmas. looking for a small, light reel that can handle 20" browns to bluegill

if someone could just point me in the right direction brand wise it would be awesome. i visit alot of sites like bass pro and cabelas but some of their equipment i look at doesnt have reviews so i have no idea if i would last me till graduation or a hour into my fishing trip.

Thanks,
Frank da Tank
[signature]
I have an inexpensive Okuma SLV reel on one of my rods. They run about $50, but it runs smooth and stood up to some rough stream fishing.

Do a search on BFT on the wader brands.

I would suggest that you pick up some on one of Cabela's sales. If they don't perform for you, Cabelas is pretty good on returns.
[signature]
And yes, the Okuma reel does handle big fish just fine.

[inline 10-11Aug33.JPG]
[signature]
check costco for waders the one in poky has the breathable type for 35 bucks that i have bushwaked through a tonof streams this year wiht out ripping up, vest why bother i oftimes use a hiking fannypack thing that also holds water bottles, reels watch cabelas bargan cave and the other sites as well, ebay is also a great source for decent stuff also remember for the most part i use my reel to hold the line so it does not get in a tangled mess i have caught 20in plus fish and fight them in just stripping the line in, wading boots i use old tennis shoes until i won a pair in a door prize a few years back so don't worry about your apperance. I was fishing the box in IP a few years back and this rig from CA pulled up and the guy probably had 5 grand worth of rod, reel, verst wadders, 12 in dive knife (shook my head at that one), hat glasses the works all St. croix and glooms stuff. i was using grandpas old fiberglass fenwik a beatup old fly reels wadding in shorts with a box of flys stuffed in the pocket. He did not catch a dang thing and i had one of my best nights down there. work on presentation and technique and don't worry about gear
[signature]
[/[Image: happy.gif][Image: happy.gif]i can give you some shallow recommendation

Please do not advertise your site...if you would like to advertise check the link at the bottom of the page to contact the site owners
[signature]
Coming from one broke student to another, even if it means wet wading a few more times or using your fanny pack a few more times buy the best you can afford. Otherwise you will be replacing it again shortly down the road.

For waders: Not sure what your budget is but my last pair was a pair of Hodgman Breathable boot foot hip waders. $30 at walmart and they gave me 1 year of dry fishing 1 year of damp fishing 1 year of wet fishing and this spring they filled and equalized with the river my first trip out. For $30 they served me well but just last month I bit the bullet and bought a pair of Simms Blackfoot waders and Simms Freestone Boots. Boy oh boy these things are sweet! VERY comfortable and make wading on rocky stream beds a lot easier and IMHO safer.

Vest: If your fanny pack works use it, I have a vest and a fanny. Sure the vest is handy because I can organize but on warm days the fanny pack is nice. My vest cost around $30 at Bass Pro. IMHO get one with a mesh back, mine has the mesh back and it is plenty hot I cant imagine a non-mesh one.

Reel: cant comment, I only have two fly rods, one is sporting a $30-$40 Cabelas fly reel and my newest one as of this winter has a Ross FlyRise. Okuma does seem to turn out some decent budget priced reels. My cousin has one that came on a cheap $80 combo rod/reel and it has caught quite a few fish including a bunch of carp that have worked its drag. Ontop of that he has not taken care of the reel and it still performs pretty good.
[signature]
[quote dubaisafari123]Hey everyone there is some problem in gear now am at dhow cruise dubai trip ? Any suggestion for me ? [fishin][/quote]

spammer
[signature]
[quote dubaisafari123]Hey everyone there is some problem in gear now am at dhow cruise dubai trip ? Any suggestion for me ? [fishin][/quote]

My only suggestion is to move on ..... this is wasting my time and everyone elses.
Your approach is old and leaves very little to desire. Simply put...STOP IT!
[signature]