Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best temps for buzzbaits and other top waters? Answers please!!!
I'm curious to know some of you wise fishermen's ideal temperature for buzzbaiting and other topwaters.
[signature]
Hi Muddy Waters!

Welcome to the BFT Arkansas forums.

I use Buzzbaits all year round and have caught some of my largest bass on them in snow storms here in NE Arkansas. When the wind is blowing just enough to get the water rippled even in 30 degree weather with it snowing. Yea, no shit.

I am going to give Paulpro a run for his money on the big bass contest this year too. He don't know it yet, but I have a honey hole pond here near Marked Tree that just produces all winter long (can't catch shit out of it during the heat of summer).

My mom caught a 25 inch bass there Saturday so he hasn't won yet! lol

Welcome to the Arkansas forums and please post your pictures or stories all you want here. Also please invite your fishing buddies to join BFT and become a part of the community.
[signature]
in winter huh? no shit, never woulda thought it, but i will def be changing up my tactics thanks bro.
[signature]
I typically put the buzzbait down after the water temp drops below 55. Not that they won't catch fish, just seem to get more action on sub surface lures after the temperature drops down to that point. Of course the colder the water is, the slower you want to reel the lure. I like to get it to the point that it is barely staying about water. The crock-o-gator headknocker buzzbaits have a unique head that kind of rides up in the water so you can retrieve it slightly slower than normal buzzbaits. Might check those out...www.crockogatorbaitcompany.com...you might also experiment with bending the ends of the blades around to allow you to slow it down even more..good luck!
[signature]
Yea Ckelly2 I slow it down and bend the blade up so that the trailer is lower in the water. I also real it on top about 3 feet then I let it sink for about a foot then bring it back up and repeat that retrieve in winter when its coldest.

Here's a fisherman's tale for you. I rode my mountain bike to a local pond about a half a mile from my Apartment last year at this time (around January 15th) it was cold the night before and when I got to the pond it had a light layer of ice on top. Yea ICE. But it was that kind of ice that is almost frozen but not quite, areas of it were mushy and not quite frozen yet.

I threw out a black buzzbait almost 30 feet into the middle of the pond and it broke the surface. I let it sink a few feet then reeled it up fast and let it break through some of the slushy part of the ice until it broke the surface and was laying on TOP of some thin ice. I let it sit there for almost a minute and just as I was about to reel it on it .. BAM! A freaking largemouth about 4lbs broke the thin ice and took it. I wasn't able to set the hook and never even had the bass hooked, but that was one of the most exciting strikes I've ever got from a largemouth Bass in my life. True story.
[signature]
wow never heard of anything like that before!
[signature]