Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello
I'm new to the forum and just wanted to stop by and say hi. I'm relativity new to the fishing world. To be honest I didn't much like it as a child, but recently I have met someone who is very important to me. He re-introduced me to fishing by taking me on a boat with his parents. I fell in love. I want to go fishing as often as possible weather it is trolling with the flies or bait fishing I just can't get enough. I have now purchased a fly tying kit for us and we have managed to tie a couple of cone head woolly buggers. [Smile] I would appericate any advise that anyone could give me, or even any suggestion on what types of flies would be the best to start with. I'm also looking for advise on what materials are the best to use and where to find them.
[signature]
Welcome to the site AnglerBabe, I'll move your post to our flyfishing board so you can get some help with your question.
WH2
[signature]
Welcome to BFT and congratulations on a great start to a life long addiction.

It would probably help if we knew what state you are in and what kind of fish you are fishing for, and if you fish always from a boat or walk some rivers and streams... those kind of things.

Where I am at here in Idaho it is starting to get cold so I will be switching to more nymphs and smaller dry flies for fishing the streams and rivers.
[signature]
I am in southern Utah, and I pretty much fish where ever and when ever i can. Weather it be on a boat, on the shore of a lake or in a river/stream.
[signature]
Southern Utah? Quail Lake, Scofield, Yuba and of course Powell, or are you more Provo?
Anyway, can't go wrong ANYWHERE with Woolly Buggers of all sizes and colors and that is a great place to start tying. Also, a very easy tie would be San Juan Worms and eggs (Bacon and Eggs) which are a must at one point or another. GLOW BUGS one of the first flies I was "taught" in a fly tying class I took.. Google these up for You Tubes, and they really are easy.
NYMPHS you will want to learn Pheasant Tails, Haresears, Prince Nymphs (with and without beads and with or with out flash backs) and Copper Johns in several colors with copper, Green, and Red being very important.

Dries, parachute or Wulff wing, Adams, Blue Winged Olives (BWO) Pale Morning Dun (PMD) Griffith Gnats, Caddis, Sofa Pillows and my favorite PMX.

Don't forget Midge Pupas, easy ties with thread, wire, peacock and with or without a bead (Basically Chironomids) Zebra's, Serendipity, WD40's.....

AND one fly that is a 24/7 - 365 is SCUDS or Sow Bugs.

Good luck, have fun and welcome. Trek carefully too.
[signature]
Well more in the Panguitch Lake area. However we have been know to drive to get to the spot we want to fish.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have gotten pretty good with the woolly buggers, even managed to make a few variations on them. I will post some pics as soon as I figure out how. I would like to tie some others but I am having trouble finding material to do so.
[signature]
I order a lot of mine.
And not all feathers are created equal. There are feathers you will use for buggers, but you need different feathers for parachutes or smaller dries.
Sometimes, paying more for a whole cape will save in the long run as it will cover a wide spectrum.
Plus a lot of tying material you can find elsewhere. Like Mohair, you can find in knitting supplies, but you will want to strip the fibers from the string.
Mylar you can find in gift wrapping. A lot of feathers you can find at Michael's.
[signature]