Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3wt
Just picked up one of Cabelas 3 forks 3wt. 71/2 ft fly combos. Will be used for streams and local ponds every now and again. It came spooled with 3wt line and I am not sure of the quality of that line.So will it be safe to overline it with 4 or 5 wt line just for distance on the ponds? Thanks for your help.[Smile]
pa
[signature]
I wouldn't, specially a 5. I answered on the Utah board, "MY" feelings, it is a depends answer...LOL
[signature]
If you really want to try it, then I suggest that you borrow a line and reel first and try the weights out.... In other words take a good patient friend with you that has some different weight lines, or see if you can find a fly shop that will let you try theirs. Have fun!

If you want to buy to try it, you might try Discount Fishing for their factory seconds lines.

http://stores.coloradoelkanddeerhunting....gories.bok

I bought one and it has been a good line, but that is no guarantee that all will be. The imperfections were in the color.
[signature]
the three forks rod is a great rod....I bought the 3 wt 7'6" 3 piece a little over a year ago as a back up to my redington.... loved it so much that the redington became my back up.... gave the rod to my little brother a few months ago. I fished 4 weight line on it without any issues. 5 is on the overkill side.
[signature]
Thanks for the advice and opinions. Was very helpful. I plan on just using the line that came on for the rest of this year, then upgrading in the spring if needed.[Wink]
[signature]
Pa, I will do the looking but I have lines you are welcome to, friend.
[signature]
P.M. sent
[signature]
Whatever you decide now or in the spring, try it before you buy. Or buy the $10 factory second line, then you aren't out a bunch if you only use it some of the time.

I thought I would like to overline my 7.5ft 3wt that is like yours, but I found that it was harder to keep the 4 wt line up and out of the bushes on streams with short casts and bushes. I went back to the 3wt line and it worked better. Since I already had a 4 wt line I wasn't having to buy it just to find out I didn't like it as much as I thought I would.

Good luck!
[signature]
Get a good 3w line and practice. You want distance with a 3w? The double haul. But don't expect 60' casts in any wind.

Be the 3 weight.
[signature]
Bass pro has the Cortland ultralight packs in 3 and 4wt DT-F for $14.99 they are 10 meter lengths which is perfect for a 3/4 wt setup. For that price you can buy both and see which works best.

[url "http://www.basspro.com/Cortland-10-Meter-Double-Taper-Fly-Line/product/58529/122168"]http://www.basspro.com/Cortland-10-Meter-Double-Taper-Fly-Line/product/58529/122168[/url]
[signature]
[quote JerryHamon]Bass pro has the Cortland ultralight packs in 3 and 4wt DT-F for $14.99 they are 10 meter lengths which is perfect for a 3/4 wt setup. For that price you can buy both and see which works best.

10 meters is a little over 30'. Like the ad says it's a speciality line for small rods and tiny reels.
30' isn't a lot of line. If you think about how much 30' is, a 2012 Ford extra cab with a 6' bed is almost 20' long. Add a small trailer to the back you're longer than 30'.
Laying 3- 9' fly rods end to end is 27'.
I'd stick with a normal line. Rio Light Trout is a good one, or if you do enough searching, last years Rio Light Trout should still be on sale.
[signature]
I fish 1, 2, 3wt rods (small rods and reels) more than anything else (200+ days a year). A 30 foot cast with a rod that size is generally more than sufficient to catch LOTS of fish. Each to his own but those are a great way to determine what line you like best. He asked for suggestions, I gave him one.
[signature]
It was a great answer. I have fished with Pa. and he does a lot of shore fishing on ponds and lakes and for what I know he fishes, 30' would not be enough.
He does 30 to 40 foot casts.
On streams and creeks I agree totally that 30' is plenty as it is always best to start right in front of you and work your way out.

Again thanks for the answer. On that note, I know several guys the buy DT, then cut it in half which for most lines being 90', that gives them two 45'ers. Frome there they either add Amnesia then backing, or on smaller weight rods, just backing. They are able to get more backing on smaller reels this way, specially with DT being bigger diameter.
[signature]
[quote JerryHamon]I fish 1, 2, 3wt rods (small rods and reels) more than anything else (200+ days a year). A 30 foot cast with a rod that size is generally more than sufficient to catch LOTS of fish. Each to his own but those are a great way to determine what line you like best. He asked for suggestions, I gave him one.[/quote]
I understand, but around here, a 3 wt. is a rod that wears more than one hat. With a 10 meter line, you're limited to where you can fish.
[signature]