Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake 11-5
New here, made my introduction post in the appropriate forum, but anyways...

Went to Utah Lake with my step-dad saturday evening. Was busy most of the day so we didn't get to the lake until about 5:30 pm I want to say. Went to Pelican bay. Been doing good there for a few weeks so I figured we could hit it up, hopefully catch some fish and have a good time.

Boy were they hitting! Those Bullhead were LOVING the shrimp! We ended up catching 21 in just over 2 hours of being there. Always nice to get out, but even better when you are catching fish! Especially when it's hot like that!

First picture is of a channel cat I caught last week at Utah Lake (boy was I a happy camper, can you tell?) The second is our bounty recently (sorry for poor quality, my phone sucks in low light conditions)

I have been absolutely LOVING Utah Lake lately. Been very productive. Some people may be wary of eating fish from there. But all the bullhead catfish and white bass my girlfriend and I have eaten out of there have been DELICIOUS. The advisory is for the big carp and large channel cats. Everything else is fine. Good luck out there! [Image: happy.gif]
[signature]
Looks like a good outing. There are a few whities in that bunch as well. They appear to be decent sized. Thanks for posting
[signature]
Welcome to the forum. I hope to read many of your reports. Great fish too. The cats are good, but those whities are a very nice size.
[signature]
Thinking of trying Utah Lake Sunday, Hope its still good.
[signature]
Welcome, and nice group of fish! Good to have another fellow UL'er on the site, we will have to share some ice or water sometime soon.

Fishkillr
[signature]
Dude that was sweet! I have had some great days this spring at the pelican marina. How do you prepare the bullheads? I ate some from Pineview (clear water ones supposedly taste better) and I thought they tasted pretty bad. I am a fish eating machine so that speaks.

I fried them in italian dressing, flour, and panko bread crumbs. I want to hear how you prepare them so I can stop throwing back food into the water. And no I choose not to eat the channels out of there, just my preference.
[signature]
The Main two ways we have been preparing them lately is either just pan fry them with Land of Lakes butter (It HAS to be actual REAL quality butter in my opinion) and we lightly dust the fillets with Lawrys Seasoning Salt. Then just pan fry them till done.

Second way we have been doing it is a fish fry. We found a Louisiana Fish Fry at Wally World. Been using Canola oil in a frying pan filled enough to cover the fillets half way. Rinsing off fillets and covering them in the fish fry, then stick em in the hot oil, flipping them occasionally and cooking them to crispyness.

The next few batches we are going to try something else I'm sure, and I will let you guys know. [Image: bobwink.gif]

We also don't eat the channel cats out of there. The advisory on Utah Lake is for the channels and carp. I have read up on all the information I could find online. It's only those two that are not recommended to eat. All other fish they say you should probably only eat their fillets and nothing else. So just fillet them all up, and enjoy!
[signature]
[quote Droolz]
The next few batches we are going to try something else I'm sure, and I will let you guys know.
[/quote]

I have that louisana fish fry stuff. It is pretty good stuff. Thanks for the reply, I just might have to brine them a bit 1st next time. Who knows maybe the "mud cats are better in clear water" is not true. I will have to try the UL mudders next time I get one.

Please let me know how it goes. Looking foreward to your next report and recipies!
[signature]
Nice bunch of fish you got there. Utah Lake is a great fishery. Please harvest the hell out of those mud cats...I hate those things. Great work and thanks for your post.
[signature]