Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Fly tying vise
I am purchasing a new vise as a gift for someone else. The persons spouse says the budget is 150 or less. I know that this should really be based on personal choice but the person is tying flys on an old Thompson and is relatively new to the hobby.

I am trying to keep my own biases out and since I haven't looked at vises in 11 years there is much that is new to me. This may end up costing me in the long run too!

I have narrowed it down to the following and am looking for input, comments, and suggestions;

Renzetti apprentice - heard nothing but good things about it.

Peak PRV - in price range looks decent

Danvise - Heard decent comments - bang for buck is good but really leery about it being plastic.

Anvil Atlas - looks bullet proof - great warranty. Is it that much better than the Apex?

thanks in advance!
[signature]
tough descission, I have tied on all but the atlas. love the hook holding of the apprentice,I broke 2 sets of jaws on it.Peak let my hooks slip. Don't be affraid of the plastic on the danvise,I sold hundreds and never had a customer issue with it. renzetti,peak are made in the USA not sure on the other 2. Griffen vises are made in the usa. excellent hook holding and in your price range,might look at them.
[signature]
If it were me, it would have to be a rotary. Nice thing about rotarys, is they are the only way to go on dubbing loops and being able to look at fly from all angles, BUT you can tighten it down if you want a fixed vise.
I have owned a Renzetti Traveler for going on 30 years and it is awesome, but I am not impressed with the apprentice.

The Danvise is bulky to me and must use a C clamp...I like the base. Made in Denmark by the way.

the other two don't really hold anything that impresses me, but again, key word her, "ME"

I do have two suggestions in your price range:

Griffith NEW! Blackfoot Mongoose $145. or Griffith Odyssey Cam Vise $149. Both USA made, rotary and tons of accessories for them. Just a thought.
[signature]
I got to echo what HFT & FG said I really like my Griffin blackfoot Mongoose. The only complaint I have is the spring or "material holder" pops off but a little super glue took care of that.
[signature]
I've used a Regal since day one, and have loved every drop of it. I have used a Thompson which was OK, and sold my fair share of Renzetti and Dyna-King vises -- never had a complaint on either.

For the money, I'd go with a Regal every day and twice on Sunday.
[signature]
I just want to add a little con to the Regal. I owned one for a couple of years. While you can turn them they are not a rotary. The jaws are very tight which is nice, but to squeeze the clamp got very old. But I am a woman. To try to squeeze the clamp and place a #28 hook was just to hard, so I went with the cam style, which is so easy. Just don't think a vise should be hard to work with.

Regal is a great and very popular vise, I just wanted to give a couple of cons to it.
[signature]
I left the Regal off the list because it is not a true rotary vice. I also believe that there are different "jaws" necesary for different size hooks (midge etc). True??
[signature]
Not really necessary for smaller hooks. True rotary is not necessary either. I personally dislike the true rotory for most of my tying. I did have hook pop outs with regals. hook slippage with thompson and dyna king(not as bad on the Dyna king)
[signature]
[quote HFT]Not really necessary for smaller hooks. True rotary is not necessary either. I personally dislike the true rotory for most of my tying. I did have hook pop outs with regals. hook slippage with thompson and dyna king(not as bad on the Dyna king)[/quote]

There are a lot of good points here, so I guess it just boils down to personal preference. I've never had a hook slip from my Regal, and the squeeze-lever for my jaws is as easy as pie. I'll admit to not really tying anything smaller than a 22 though, so I can't really say anything about that. I personally have never been a fan of true rotary; I just don't see the point.

Anyhow, I think anything you get will be excellent. Outside of those crappy Pakistani vises, pretty much anything will be good for a beginner/middle of the road tyer.
I appreciate the discussions and input from everyone - it helps. I should be back in country Thanksgiving weekend so I hope to test drive a few of them before we have to make a decision.

One question that I do have though is the use of a clamp versus the pedestal type vise. I have only tied on a pedestal vise - never used a clamp type. Is a vise that uses a clamp as stable as the pedestal type? My pedestal is quite heavy and it takes a lot to move it. I guess that also raises the question as to whether the pedestals are heavy enough on the pedestal types also.

I do feel a little humbled though. I am originally from Maine and tie on a HMH Spartan - proudly made just down the road in Brunswick Maine. No one even mentioned HMH.

TIA - again.
[signature]
HMH are great! I think it is the price for the basic vise and that everything else like the arm for the bobbin on the rotary end is all accessories. The adjustable jaws id awesome and makes a killer tube fly vise.

If you have an HMH, why are you looking for a different vise?
[signature]
Agree HMH is a good vise. I prefer pedistal base because you don't have to find a table lip. I used a pair of forcepts for a vise to tie a dozen zebra midges one evening while fishing the green. Just saying...as long as it holds a hook.
[signature]
It is not for me - it is to be a Christmas gift for someone else - who I hope is not aware of this thread!!

I have been happy with my Spartan - never a problem with it. It is a little out of her price range though and I wanted to keep my personal biases out of the decision as I haven't used anything else for years. Besides, human nature being what it is you always wonder if there isn't something better out there.
[signature]
One last thing that hasn't been mentioned: The Nor-Vise.

http://www.nor-vise.com/nor-vise-product.html

I've never used one, but I watched a local tier use one and I thought to myself, "Damn, why would anyone ever use anything different?" It was impressive. That being said, I still use the Regal. =)

Just throwing it out there...
Again, a price thing. I have to agree, it is an Ultimate. I was so close to buying a used one, but, the Renzetti does just fine and Christmas is a comin' Oh well.
[signature]