Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aqua Vu?
I'm looking to purchase and underwater fish viewer such and an aqua vu or marcum. I'm hoping some of you that are experienced with them can tell me what features I should be looking for and which models are best. I appreciate any info, thanks!
[signature]
I have a Cabela's camera that is just like the aqua vu, its pretty cool to see the fish cruising around and reacting to your bait when you can line it up, but I wouldn't personally spend the money on one again. I've found them to be heavy, its hard to know where your camera is pointing, and in bright light hard to see the screen. More of a pain in the butt than not. Since I bought mine, I have bought a Marcum Showdown and found it so much more handy and useable in fishing situations. If you are serious about buying one, I'd sell you mine for 20$, its just sitting in my garage since I use the Marcum now. I wouldn't be able to include the battery since I use it in the Marcum, but you can buy a small 12 volt at any auto parts store for not too much, and the camera/monitor/case are in perfect shape. But if you have some money to spend, get a good portable flasher or sonar.
[signature]
Two years ago, I purchased a Cabelas underwater camera that rotated the lense. The concept was good until I lowered the camera to about 60 feet and then moisture got in behind the lense & I could no longer see anything. Being a Cabelas brand & a great retailer they gave me my $$$ back.

Last year I bought a Marcum color camera. It has worked out great. You can rotate the lense at the surface and tell what direction the lense is pointing on the screen. In addition you can point it down & see the fish from above. I would recommend the Marcum. It is only good down to 65 or so feet. I wished I could find something that would go a little deeper.
[signature]
Do not bother with a color screen. Black and white works fine. The infra red camera is great for icefishing in water over 25 feet deep. Invest in the shroud to put over the view finder if it is remotely sunny. 60 feet of line is sufficient. At Flaming gorge, deer creek, and Yuba we used 120 feet of line regularly.

Aquavues are great fun on a slow day. They are maddening at times to see fish and notice they are all in a state of lock jaw. They can Help in presentation. I suggest owning one for a year or 2. They will help sharpen some skills. I use a fishing buddy as a primary fish finder and I have another device I use to depth find through the ice. Good luck!
[signature]
thanks for the emails everyone, Fishassassin came by and picked the camera up yesterday so I no longer have it.
[signature]