Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is Red Tide?
[size 3][font "Times"]Red tides are naturally occurring populations explosions, called blooms, of reddish-brown phytoplankton (microscopic algae) in the sea, often in coastal waters. Most red tides are harmless, but a few species of phytoplankton cause red tides that are poisonous to marine animals and to humans. Of the more than 60 different species of phytoplankton that cause red tides, only four or five have been identified as toxic.[/font] [left][font "Times"][size 3]Red tides are not new. The first of the 10 plagues of Egypt, described in Exodus, may be one of the earliest recorded instances of a red tide ("... and all the waters that were in the river turned to blood. And the fish that were in the river died, and the water stank ..."). Red tides occur on both sides of the Atlantic, off Florida, and along the Pacific coast into Alaska.[/size][/font][/left] [left][font "Times"]<< Also for tubers during Red Tide. Make sure to rinse off shortly afterwards getting out and wash hands if using mussels,clams during red tide for bait. If you have any sort of recent wounds it wouldn't be advisable to go in water either I have heard. In rare case these diseases have appeared in the human blood stream >>[/font][/left][/size]
[signature]
[cool]Good post on a nasty subject. There are hundreds of web pages on the subject, but nothing from a float tuber's perspective. We know it makes the water look lousy and it affects some fish more than others. All in all, if we had our choice we would do without it.

I usually do not even bother to fish a red tide area. I have never done well. However, I have had folks tell me that they love to fish halibut in red tides. Who knows?
[signature]
[#800000][size 2]Red Tides can't get me in Utah [Tongue].[/size][/#800000]
[signature]
[cool]That depends on whether University of Utah wins or not.

You also get "WHITE" tides (snow), brown tides (mud), green tides (in Strawberry) and yellow tides...if you fish too close to a float tuber with a weak bladder.

Howya doin', Bro?
[signature]
[cool][size 2]Hey fishfather,[/size]

[size 2]The only color tide that you should be concerned about is "[#ffff00]THE YELLOW TIDE[/#ffff00]"[/size]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=798;]
[signature]
i get "toung tide" near the beach bunnies , must be old age sneeking up on me !
[signature]
[cool]It doesn't have to sneak when you lose your sight and hearing. With me, it just walked up and kicked the door down.

Didja hear about the two old BFTers sitting on a bench down by the beach watching the bikinis stroll by? Every time a young lovely would wiggle by, one of the oldtimers would nudge the other and they would both giggle. Finally one of them says..."Hey, now, what was it we used to do with them?"

But, when somebody asks me if I mind getting older, I just say..."Not when I look at the alternative."

How are you doing with your computer, Al? Got everything smoothed out?
[signature]
it's got a mind of it's own !

either it or i am going for theropy soon , with me thou , i think it would be a waste of time , lol !
[signature]
and I thought the red tide was just a bunch of red necked anglers comming back form a good days fishing[angelic] (hence the red tide killing off the fish)

BOUY IS MY NECK RED[sly]

Thanks fishfather, I have often wondered what the red tide was, but not enough to do any reserch on it.
[signature]
Dryrod I wouldnt be doing that in front of that shark, you might end up worying about a no tide situation [shocked][angelic][blush][sly]
[signature]