Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Iliketofish - Contest Fish
Iliketofish,

Post your contest fish here.
[signature]
I see 19 on the brook, but I can only eeek out 24 on the cut (sticking to the round down rule). Good way to get on the board, though! That put's you in first place for the time being. Can't wait to get over there and get a brook and cut for myself. Really looking forward to next week.[Smile]

BTW, those pictures are just right. Big enough to score easily, but not too big.
[signature]
Not to stir this up, but why just 24" that tail is definitely over that mark with chin even at the other end when you click on the picture? Just curious why.
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]Not to stir this up, but why just 24" that tail is definitely over that mark with chin even at the other end when you click on the picture? Just curious why.[/quote]

I'm trying to be objective and as fair as I can with these. First, if you blow up the picture and zoom in, you'll see that the fish is at least 1/8 short of the end of the tape on the head end. Then go to the tail and and zoom in and you'll see that it is a smidgeon short of 24.5 on that end. The rules state that all rounding will be down, so 24. It's a beautiful fish, and I hope to do as well when I get over there. If everyone thinks that I'm judging these too hard, I can adjust. Just trying to be fair.
[signature]
Tough job and tough call, sorry just curious. Keep up the good work.
[signature]
Awesome BG! 8 inches. I can almost eeeek 8.5 out of it, but not quite. What a beauty!

13 on the Rainbow.
[signature]
[quote iliketofish]Got this 13 inch hot dog today at Winchester on an ice jig tipped with a maggot. The bad news is I've got no hopes of upgrading this one but a species is a species.

[/quote]

I bet if this had had a nose???? it could have push 14"...LOL
[signature]
[laugh] I didn't say he was pretty but like I said a species is a species [Smile] I just wish I had a Chesterfield or something like it nearby so I could upgrade my rainbow.
[signature]
9.5 on the perch.
[signature]
Caught on 2-15-12 on a Jigging Rapala at Cascade. Couldn't find any jumbos, but I think I might squeeze out a 1/2 inch upgrade from my other perch...

[inline Perch.jpg]
[signature]
Caught on 2-11-12 on tiny jig tipped with maggot at Winchester. Again hoping for another 1/2 inch, your call....

[inline Bluegill.jpg]
[signature]
15.5 on the rainbow.

10 on the perch.

8.5 on the blue gill.

Got you a few more inches. And that is a really pretty rainbow.
[signature]
[Image: confused.gif] Are we counting cohos as rainbows, kind of like how hybrids count as cutthroats? Maybe I forgot...
[signature]
Coho's are their own species. If you got one, I'd score it. Where did you get one?
[signature]
That last salmonid that I posted isn't a rainbow. It's a coho, I guess I should have said so in the body of my post instead of just the subject line. I caught it at Cascade on 2-15-12 on a sweedish pimple tipped with a worm.

Here's more pictures if that helps:
Original picture, note the shape of the anal fin, the shape of the tail, and the complete lack of the rainbow lateral line stripe:
[inline "Coho 3.jpg"]

Close ups of mouth and head, note the black Tongue and white gums:
[inline "Coho 2.JPG"]

[inline "Coho 1.JPG"]

I thought it was weird that there were spots on the bottom of the tail, but I talked to my buddy who used to manage a coho hatchery and he showed me pictures of adult anadromous coho with the same spotting on the bottom of the caudal fin - and he also agreed that it's definitely a coho.
Anyway I don't mean to split hairs but about the only likely way I'll get to 7 species is if I get due credit for this one, and I get lucky and tie into a largemouth or a crappie this weekend....
There I've said my peace [laugh][blush] I'll let you make the final call on the species without further grumbling either way [:p]
[signature]
I looked at it the first time and thought it looked odd for a rainbow, so I looked at the caudal fin to see if it might be a coho. There were spots, so I just assumed it was a rainbow. They can be hard to tell apart. The documentation I've seen indicate there are no spots on the bottom of the tail, so I never gave it any more thought. I agree, though. It is a coho. The mouth is bigger than on a rainbow, and the dark color in the mouth also another indicator. Also, heavy spotting on the upper side of the lateral line with no spotting below. Looks like a coho to me. I just missed it. Sorry. I'll get the score corrected.
[signature]