Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TyGer Leader Material Stands the Test

I had a chance to field test a length of the TyGer leader last week and Tuesday/Wednesday of this one at Catalina Island. After having received 5 feet of the 70 lb test material, I figured I'd test it on the three different ways I commonly fish the local species. We're catching Yellowtail, Barracuda, Halibut, White Sea Bass, as well as the usual Lings and other toothy critters.

Over all, I'd say the two areas the TyGer boasts superiority of their material (easy of knot tying/knot strength and abrasion resistance) is no boast. I didn't notice kinking to be a big problem like on most steel single or multistrand wire leaders either. The nylon coating had a nice touch and made the length of line flex quite naturally.

Fished three ways:

1) I used 12 inches to splice to 25lb mono using a blood knot and jigging iron (tied with a double cinch) a little deeper for Yellows. The leader held up against the rocks the yellows know so well. Yep, I got my share of nice ones. No pics.

2) I used 2 feet to make a dropper loop spliced to 20lb test mono to go for Halibut on the bottom. Fished the sandy pockets between the rocky reefs on the west end if some readers recognize the area.

3) I used 2 feet to set up a Carolina rig using a 25lb test main line, 1 1/2oz sliding egg sinker, swivel, leader and 5/0 Owner light wire circle hook (double cinch on both hook and swivel) on which I put a whole live squid. Caught more yellows. No kinking, abrasion and the flexibility of the line wasn't much different than an averge diameter 50lb test mono.

Great Product, I will have to search out the lighter tests to use on the ol' float tube.

Thanks TyGer!

JapanRon
[signature]
sounds good to me would like to try out some of it on cats and big gar.
[signature]
is t a wire core leader ? what was the dia. of the leader ? this product sounds like it would be very usefull for the muskey fishing and for the stergon (they like to roll over and cut your line with there bony gill plates ) .
[signature]

Hi lonehunter,

This leader ought to be a killer for both muskie and sturgeon. You can check out the details at www.tygerleader.com but just to give you an idea the 70lb rated stuff I used was a braided (49 strands!!!) line of stainless steel with what seemed like a thin vinyl coating but not sure on the coating. If it's stainless it shoudn't need coated. Right?

The diameter is a mere .030 which is equivalant to a medium grade 30lb mono.

Tough, no, tougher than nails but you can tie almost any knot you want in it and the knot holds. I used a double cinch knot most of the time.

What's the drawback. Wanna cut this stuff to length? Ha! You better have the biggest, baddest pair of dikes you've ever owned!!!!! ha ha

Otherwise, awesome product and a must for the salt and them tiger muskies!

JapanRon
[signature]