Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Motor question
I have a Buck"s Bags SouthFork, right now the difference between a Minn Kota Endura 45 Lbs. thrust and a 55 Lbs. trust is $30.00. What do you suggest? Is the 55 too much for my pontoon? Does the battery run down a lot faster with the 55 Lbs. trust? Just some questions.
[signature]
It is way more than you need. On a 9' pontoon to 11'6" pontoon, a 30 is enough.
[signature]
I am going to say it depends on how your using it. I have a 40 pound thrust on my 9' outcast. I use mine a lot in heavy current on the snake river. When I am going up stream to go sturgeon fishing my 40 is barely enough to get me in the hole when water flow is at 4500 cfs. More thrust would help me get into the hole in high water. if I am fishing lakes it isn't an issue. Ron
[signature]
I had a Bucks for years and used a 30 and that was plenty on the Berry and more than enough on any of the smaller places I fished.

I am pretty sure the 55 will drain the battery quicker than the 45.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]It's a combination of basic physics and minor engineering differences. Theoretically it should take the same amount of power/thrust to get your craft from point A to point B...regardless of how large the motor is. But because some motors are designed to operate more efficiently at higher speeds...or lower speeds...there can be a difference in how much juice is drained from the battery with two different motors moving you the same distance.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Even with the same motor there can be variables. If you run your motor on high speed, you will get to your destination faster. But if you run it at lower speed you get there just the same...and usually with less battery consumption.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There are also the variables of propeller size and pitch, power to heat loss, drag from anything dangling in the water, etc. And don't forget ambient temperatures. Running a motor in cold weather will run the battery down faster than in warm weather.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]A 40 is plenty for most applications. But spending a few dollars more for a more powerful motor might be appreciated when you have to fight back against a stout breeze.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Troll motors are designed to move very heavy boats at low speed at very low cost and high profit to the maker in a competitive market. They are very wasteful when used in smaller craft like canoes, pontoons and float tubes due to high battery/motor weight and being used for something they were not meant for. In general, there will only be a small difference between those rated for higher thrust and the power drain on the battery will be considerably higher at full speed. Higher thrust might work for powering across a short section of say, high river current or high wind. The full power setting cannot be maintained over long distances because of battery drain. Someday we may see more motors designed for our small craft, hopefully at a reasonable price. Something like the electric paddle: [url "http://www.electricpaddle.com/specs.html"][#63626b]http://www.electricpaddle.com/specs.html[/#63626b][/url]

Notice the minor difference in speed with different throttle settings.

Pon
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Interesting little motor.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]But still, all of the applications shown are for craft that run on top of the water. I suspect that they would not be nearly as efficient when dragging a tuber.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]But it shows that there is potentially enough of a market that someone is doing some R & D.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
It reads 2 hrs at high speed? I could get 5 to 6 out of the Minn Kota on 5 when I used the 30 on my 11 1/2 foot long pontoons.
The foot print tells you the drag, but also the shape of that drag.
My Minn Kota Maxxum 40 and the Endura 45 have two different props The 40 has the exact same prop as a 30, but the 45 has a smaller one. I know I move slower with the smaller. Longevity on a battery I haven't had a change to test.

We put the Maxxum 40 on our 14' Aluminum boat. This motor is more a reostat, and broke down into percentage starting with 25%. That 25% moved that boat through the wind at Strawberry for 4 hours easily will less drain on the battery than we thought. Plus F.Y.I., that motor on 100% moved that boat, a 50lb gas motor, my dog and both my husband and myself about 5 mph according to the GPS.

I went to a bigger pounds thrust motor mainly because I needed the longer shaft on my U shaped pontoons. The battery mount is higher than most pontoons. But the U boats also have a bigger foot print. They cut through the water like a dream when kicking or rowing, but there is a drag, specially with waves as then hit the end of the U. Turning around is not a solution as the U is still there.
But the U shape makes this a very stable design.

I still think for duel Pontoons, a 30 is plenty.
[signature]
Hi, F.G.:
I am NOT endorsing, the electric paddle, or the torquedo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E_EKCf39dA But they can do things that no other motor can do in some applications. If high speed or long range is important with a float tube, I would go with a gas motor which would weigh considerably less than the 70-80# of a minn kota troll motor/battery. http://www.onlineoutboards.com/Choosing-...board.html Some are capable of planing a dingy.

Pon
[signature]
Oh I agree, GAS, but they go a little to fast to troll with which some do. The smaller ones have a nice gas tank built into the motor and as you say, lighter.
We have the 5 HP with external gas tank. The motor weighs about the same as a battery, but it is possible for me to pack it to the water, but the battery isn't a big deal for me.
Another problem is, we turn the head around on electrics to pull us, can't do that with gas unless you keep turning the whole motor around. And a lot of the smaller ones are either off/on-go with no idle.
Then top it off with the price of 10 to 12 batteries, which at three years is 30 years at least. I should be so lucky to still be doing this...LOL

And as your article states....4STROKE is the way to go.
[signature]
I say go with the 55,you never know when you might need the extra power,or run dual 45's with two batteries[Smile].happy new year [#4040ff]Paulpro FL.mod [/#4040ff][#000000]I have the 54motorguide, strong motor its nearly thrown me off the boat a few times[Image: bobmad.gif][/#000000]
[signature]
Thanks for that imput Ron,just imagin if you also had a strong head wind that day along with the current,or even a distant storm could push some unexpected headwinds winds your way.Plus don't you ever just get that need for speed.I know the ladies aren't about all that,but the more power makes it fun as well.Happy hollidays,and Happy New Year![Smile]
[signature]
Interesting,I saw the 2.5hp but rather go with something aircooled especially in small motor applications,something oldschool like these 18lb motors "I think" would be better.
[signature]
They might be a little tough to find though. Do they stink of gas like other two strokes? Also, do they have an idle/nutral?
[signature]
Hi Flygodess,all my life I've wanted twins,aren't they cute.how you been,have a happy new year with your new fishing buddy,whats the puppy's name[blush].No issues with fumes,during cold nights they keep me warm,down wind usually on the way back,if the smoke is too much I shut one down.I found one "new in box" on ebay.The other was used,but even had the same model#,I've owned three of these and love them.Look for 2 strokes to dominate the future[sly],these motors use a centrifical clutch.No gears,as you decelerate to stop,the prop stops spinning as if in nuetral.For every man/woman and machine,there is an identical twin. [#4040ff]Paulpro FL.mod[inline "flygodess,did you see my new twins.jpg"] [#000000]Please do not adjust your screen,this is not an optical illusion,what you are looking at are two identical 1.75hp aircooled outboard engines.click below to see the actuall vid. Paulpro knows boating like Bo knows baseball[/#000000] [/#4040ff]
[signature]
Flygoddess, I always wondered how my boat would handle in a river.I found this video,is this kinda how the rivers you fish look like?
[signature]
The video seems to be down. I don't fish rivers in my boat and motor, I just drift down stream. Took my aluminum boat up river once, or tried. was using a 3 hp and the current was just to much. didn't loose ground but couldn't go forward, so we just headed for shore and an easy take out. This Nissan 5 hp moes the boat real well as do the 45 lb thrust Minn. but haven't tried the river yet.
[signature]
at least you tried and thats what counts.Thats what I like that about you ,you only give up when the situation becomes impossible,although you could of tried the 45thrust motor along with the three horse,it should of got you moving[Image: happy.gif]all the videos are youtube,nothing out of the ordinary.[#4040ff]Paulpro FL.moderator
[/#4040ff]
[signature] youtube [url "http://10 ft Jon Boat like a boss "]10 ft Jon Boat like a boss[/url]
[quote Paulpro] Thanks for that imput Ron,just imagin if you also had a strong head wind that day along with the current,or even a distant storm could push some unexpected headwinds winds your way.Plus don't you ever just get that need for speed.I know the ladies aren't about all that,but the more power makes it fun as well.Happy hollidays,and Happy New Year![Smile][/quote]

I have a couple of methods when fishing the Snake River. I either float down the river and use the motor for little things moving quickly from side to side OR I use it to go up stream and then float back down. The snake River flows mostly west in our area. Our prevailing wind is from the west. The only two places I sturgeon fish in my pontoon right now I have to go up stream, One is a 1 hour trip up and the other is about 30 minutes. I probably could go with a small boat like yours but I would not have any control with fins as I am fighting fish. Using fins to help control the situation is the most important thing for me. I like to drift around and fish vertical for both cats and sturgeon. I don't need to cast I just drop the bait down and drag the bottom. Fishing from a small boat would require me to anchor, or tie up and then cast. In a pontoon I use a very small amount of weight compared to the casters. I do believe this type of fishing presentation is only available to guys in pontoon style boats.

As for speed. When I am floating the snake more down river for catfish speed is not a big deal. The rivers moves at 3 to 4 MPH and my motor will pull me 3 MPH so I can get 6 MPH out of it when I want to just go.
I wonder how or if the outboard would work on a pontoon. Going forward with a pontoon would be tiresome trying to keep it going straight. But it would increase range and speed. Ron
[signature]
Thanks for all that enjoy the fishing,ever thought of adding a make shift rudder,maybe one for each pontoon,happy holidays and happy new year! I did so for my boat to keep it from swaying,in this vid I'm using a rudder I made.I too like to have better control of my boat especially when fishing,enjoy,I added it to the stern on the port side.Paulpro knows boating like Bo knows baseball [#4040ff]FL.mod[/#4040ff]
[signature]