Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battery size for a fatcat or superfatcat
How small can you go with a trolling moter??? And what would the best size be Thanks
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Theoretically, you can use any size motor that you can mount on your tube. Quite a few folks use light weight 24# thrust motors on tubes and toons. I used the 30# MinnKota for a year...with a 30" shaft length...before deciding I would like a longer shaft length. So I got a 40# thrust with a 36" shaft. Gives me a wider range of adjustment and a bit more power. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks and what would be the best battery size and how small can you go I see you added boat bumpers under yours
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]There is no easy answer for best size. It depends on what kind of fishing you plan to be doing and how much you will be using the battery and motor. If it is strictly a backup propulsion system, you can get by with the small wheelchair size batteries. Mine was only about 24 pounds. Just make sure they are deep cycle.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[inline "33 AH BATTERY.jpg"]

[#0000ff]But, if you will be using your motor to get you further from your launch point...and back...with the potential for some light trolling...you should get the biggest and best battery you can afford...and which will still fit on your tube.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am sending you a writeup on Motorizing a Float Tube. That should help with some of your questions.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks so much, now if it was only April
[signature]
I have always used 27. Even back 25 plus years ago on my donut tube. There are other batteries, but everyone I have known that has tried to go with the smaller, end up going with the bigger and the 27 is the best in my opinion.
You "MIGHT" think you will only use it once in awhile, but then you realize, you can fight the wind, you can cover more shore and deep water and you can do it all without beating yourself up...
Now the fact you can get one at Walmart for $70. just makes it that much nicer.
[signature]
Thanks F G
[signature]
There are two main concerns when buying a battery, size and type.

Size merely equates to Amp Hours. Amp hours are literally that. How many hours will a battery run. Now you must consider the many variables that determine draw i.e. boat size or wind or how high you turn your motor up when trolling or moving from spot to spot.

The size 24 has always done fine for me but if I bought a new one I may get a size 27. That number is how big the battery is and not how many amp hours you're going to get.

The manufacture quality and type will determine how many amp hours you'll get.

With all the you need to consider type just as much. I am strictly speaking of Marine/trolling batteries here. There really are normal every day trolling batteries. They have the opening on the top of the battery that needs to be filled every now and then but checked at the beginning and end of every trip.

The other kind is "sealed." Yes they are more money may even weigh a few pounds more and you need a special charger for them. My Cabelas sealed battery has outlasted my walmart and my checker regular trolling motors by three times now and it's still going strong. And it NEVER leaks on me, my waders, or my floor mats and that is worth the difference all by itself but here's the kicker it WILL keep you on the water longer.

So in short get at least a size 24 if you intend on trolling or even just fishing while you move from spot to spot. Get a sealed one because they are much much less hassle in every regard.
[signature]
Not everyone tips batteries over. I have been using Acid batteries and NEVER had a leak, tip, spill. That is why they make battery boxes...[Wink]
I agree, it can be a concern, but if you are aware of it, you learn not to tilt your boat up on the side while the battery is on it.[shocked]
You can spend as much or as little as you want. And know what to look for. The Walmart is 115 and 720 for their 27. The Cabela's AMG is 1200 and 950 but, twice as much $ and that is on sale.

A lot to think about. I will say, use a battery box or an Ice Chest is just avoiding accidents.
[signature]
That's true but there's another problem and that comes up when charging. The regular wet cell type off gas when charging and the AGM type don't off gas.

The two biggest deciding factors for me were the facts (granted it was/is my experience I am speaking of) that the AGM batteries last longer and that makes them worth more and they run on the water longer too.
[signature]