Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish Finders
I need some recomendations. Ice fishing is picking up and I am looking at purchasing a fish finder for the 6-8 times I go every year. I'm thinking of spending around the $300.00 range. Any recomendations on what would be best for me. I have never used one before and do not know the difference in models. I do fish in my shack most of the time with my kids if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance,

The Coach
[signature]
Love my Lowrance x67 ice machine. Youtube it and you can watch it in action. I also bought the transom transducer ($70) so I can use it in my aluminum boat in the summer. It"s like a video game on the ice and is awesome in the boat too. Best of both worlds in one unit. Just one man's opinion but it is well worth the money and right at your price range. Good luck......
[signature]
I use an Eagel Fishmark 320 for the ice and mountend on my toon. I got mine brand new in the package for 99 bucks off ebay.
[signature]
I have the x67 as well. I got it a couple of years ago and it has worked really well for me. I would recommend it any day.
[signature]
lowrance x-135
[signature]
There is a Vexlar FL-12 ProPac on the board. tmas is the person selling it. Here is the link.
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=701395;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=unread#unread"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=701395;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=unread#unread[/url]
[signature]
I got a Showdown last year and LOVE it! You can get the larger dual beam one for around $400 or the handheld Troller for $200. I've used other circular flashers before and liked them, but the showdown was a piece of cake for my pea-brain. One of my favorite things about it is you can test water depth without drilling a hole. As long as you get it to touch the ice.
[signature]
Lowrance ice machine will also check depth without drilling a hole. Just have to squirt some water out of a water bottle on the transducer as it sits on the ice. Also shows fish through the ice. Makes searching an area much quicker and easier without having to drill.
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"]+1 for the Showdown 5.6. I can drill 3 holes and can watch both the cast master and jig from all three rods with this unit. Very simple to use and a lot easier on the eyes after a long day out on the ice. Plus there’s a [/font]$25.00 Mail-In Reward Card Offer - now thru Jan. 15th, 2012.
[font "Times New Roman"]• 12-volt 9-amp Battery included
• Higher contrast display produces better resolution
• 20-degree Transducer with 6-feet of cable
• 8,000-watts Peak-to-Peak Power
• ½-inch Target Separation
• Moveable Zoom – Infinitely Adjustable, anywhere in the water column
• 10 levels of Interference Rejection
• Surface clutter elimination
• 25 Sensitivity settings
• 240-foot Range with Automatic Depth Scale function
• Auto Bottom Lock Zoom - adjusts to the bottom 25% of the water column
• Daylight Viewable Backlit Display
• Ice-Mode activates Internal Heater to aid LCD in extreme conditions
• No moving parts - Maximizes run-time between charges
• Soft Pack, Rechargeable Battery and Battery Charger included
• Made in the USA
• Price – $349.99[/font]
http://www.marcumtech.com/Products/tabid...roductName
[signature]
The "FasTrac" feature on Lowrance units displays the exact same information that the Showdown units do. It isn't quite as wide, but it it functions exactly the same. I wish there was some user control of the width of the "FasTrac" display, but I wouldn't want to limit myself to only that portion of the display like the Showdown does.
[signature]
[font "Calibri"]I should also say that I have the Lowrance Elite 5 in my boat that I can and have taken out on the ice as well. I will still say that the showdown is a much better unit. It cost over $200 less then the Elite 5 ice machine and just plain out performs IMOA. [/font]
[signature]
I'd have to say that you need to learn the functions of the unit you have. The Showdown is so one dimensional that it is nearly foolproof. But it isn't nearly as capable as other units.
[signature]
Why do you squirt water on the transducer? To create a better fit for the transducer to the ice? I just got an ice machine and would really like to try this.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The truth is that most sonars will shoot through the ice and give some kind of reading. The key is to have the beam shooting through very clear ice if possible, without a lot of frozen slush or bubbles to create interference. The water on the ice helps provide a smooth interface so that that beam is not interrupted by air or bubbles. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Some guys like to carry an insulated jug of warmer water to pour on the ice as they "run and gun". It works for me, with my showdown. Last season on Starvation it was clear slick ice for a long time. You needed ice cleats to stay vertical but the through the ice function of the sonar was great. You could cover a lot of area, looking for breaklines and humps, and even seeing the fish both on the bottom and the trout cruising through at mid depth. Never failed. If the Showdown showed fish below we caught fish as soon as we drilled and dropped.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As a thin crust of snow covered the ice...and then thicker snow...all I had to do was use my small shovel to scoop down to the slick ice, dribble on some water and shoot the beam. Only when I tried to shoot through crusty stuff was there a wacky reading.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Check the propaganda on your machine. Most of them will tell you if you can use it like that. If not, it is no big deal to take some water out on the ice and at least give it a try.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The type of transducer you have might make a difference. Mine is an ice ducer with a flat bottom. A skimmer type transducer will work, but only if you chip out a little hole so allow more water to cover the bottom of the ducer. Used to work on my cheapy eagle units that I converted from my float tube during ice season.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
+1 on what Pat said. I've shot through the ice with my flashers lots of times. One could also carry a small bottle of saline solution if an insulated container is not available. In case your water bottle is frozen, you could also spit on the ice and put your transducer on that small pool. Just make sure there is no loose snow on top to get a better reading.
Tubedude answered it precisely (as usual). It just gives the transducer clear ice for better accuracy and reading, just takes a little squirt.
[signature]
I have the showdown ice troller and I love it. It's simple so I don't get overwhelmed with features and as I've mentioned before I watched it track a 2 inch meal worm to the bottom of east canyon at 80 feet. It's portable, light, and powerful. I know some people like having the features and all the bells and whistles but the showdown works great for my needs. Just consider what features you need and go from there.
[signature]
You could spit on the ice, or...if spit isn't enough you do have a built in fluid supply. [angelic] Wink. Wink.

I'm totally joking, let's not get that conversation started again.
[signature]
+1 X67 ice machine! I got mine late last ice season and improved my catch rates greatly. Its a great unit that's easy to use. I can also track a small ice fly down to 70 feet no problem. It actually says it can read down to 400 feet, never have been deeper than 70 though
[signature]
Lol Good idea! I'll make sure to ask you for some help with it next time we go.
[Wink]
[signature]