Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bonneville whtefish run is on!
Ok, its about a week later than normal, but so was just about everything else. Anyway, I fished yesterday and did very well. We moved around to several different spots and caught fish at all of them (some were much better than others). Try off rocky shorelines in about 10-15' of water. We used tubes and roadrunner style jigs in 1/8 oz tipped with a worm. We also ended up with 3 lakers, one cutthroat and one rainbow while fishing for whitefish. Its fun when you hook into a laker that is 7-10 lbs with ultralight gear in that shallow of water. All you can do is hold on and enjoy the next 10-15 minutes. I'm not going to divulge the exact spots I fished, you may need to look in slightly different spots than when the water was low. In fact I never even had a bite on the 2nd Point area. I took a pic of two lakers and a limit of whitefish, but another guy took the pics of the larger laker. Hopefully he will post them.
[inline DSCF1582.JPG]

[inline DSCF4449.JPG]

[inline DSCF4451.JPG]
[signature]
Just curious about a couple of things.
First, are the white fish good eating and what do they taste like? Second, If I took a kick boat to the East side, are there places close to the road that have rocky areas to put in my kick boat? In other words, can I get to productive areas with a personal craft?
I would love to jig for those buggers from my pontoon.
Thanks for the pictures and telling us what would work to attract a strike. If we get a warm spell and your information about my questions are good I may just head up there.
By the way, how long does the spawn go?
[signature]
I can't speak for BLFG but the area all along Cisco beach state park is rocky and you won't have any problem driving within a few feet of the water to launch your toon there. The spawn only last a few weeks then it tapers off, so you don't have long. As far as taste goes, well that is different with everyone, so it is hard to say if you will like them or not but you should give them a try a see what you think. Plus there is always a good chance that you will catch some of the bigger trout that are feeding on the whitefish eggs. Good luck and let us know how you do, if you make it up there.
WH2
[signature]
Whitefish are delish when smoked! They are fun to catch on light tackle!

As far as toon access, you will be fine! Good luck and enjoy
[signature]
How big are the whitefish eggs, and what do they compare to? I mean, do they compare to salmon eggs, or trout eggs in size, etc?

Just thinking, with two rods, I might rig one with eggs of some kind just of the trout.. Rainbows like salmon eggs sometimes, of course.

Then the other rig gets the little jigs for the whitefish?
[signature]
I can't say for sure but it seems to me that they are a little smaller than trout eggs. Sounds like salmon eggs might be a good idea.
[signature]
Whitefish eggs are about twice the size of a pin head ... about 1/4 the size of a salmon egg.
[signature]
BLFG is Awesome! After a couple of mishaps Friday morning with another friends boat..... Scott was nice enough to take my bro-in-law Mike and myself with him to go after the whitefish. Fished most of the day on Friday. And then on Saturday, we were able to take the other friends boat and fish again for a good part of the day. Saturday was the better day, but that may have been mostly because we were with BLFG. He is definately "The Man" when it comes to fishing Bear Lake. Anyway, we had a blast! Thanks again Scott for letting us tag along. And also DJ for letting us use your boat and gear! We really appreciate it! Here are a couple of pics from the trip...... The Mack that Mike caught was about 8 1/2 lbs and he also caught a big Cutty on Saturday that was probably 6 lbs. Nothing like catching huge fish in shallow water!!! We had a little problem weighing the Cutty as it flipped out of the net [crazy] before we could get a good reading. I'm sure Mike will have a little bit to say about that..... [cool]

[inline _DSC0001resize.jpg]

[inline _DSC0012resize.jpg]

[inline _DSC0022resize.jpg]

[inline _DSC0031resize.jpg]

[inline _DSC0032resize.jpg]

Fish On!!!!

Laters,
Cdragon
[signature]
Special thanks to Scott and DJ for helping make last weekend happen! I had a blast. That was fun to add another species to the resume. Now for my best fishing buddy Corey, I did not know you had it in you to turn my trophy fish loose before I could get a pic. Dang that Corey! Just means we better do it again soon. I am prayin that lake will freeze up this yr. Thanks fellas!
[signature]
What do you fish with? Have you ever tried from shore near Gus Rich Point?
[signature]
Great pics! I've never tried fishin' Bear Lake, I'd like to do that sometime. Thanks so much for sharing![fishin]
[signature]
What all the fuss about head to the Weber and you can pull 20+ whitefish in a outing. Most dont even target Whitefish and end up with a dozen or so.
[signature]
The fuss is it's only once a year they run and you've got the chance at catching big lakers and cutts while you do it. You should try it out it's a blast.
[signature]
Ohhh Ok, Sooo its like trying to catch big browns and hooking into whities .... [sly] were have we done that before... [Wink]

Just kidding [Wink][Wink][Wink]
[signature]
The added plus is that Bonneville whitefish, by all reports, taste MUCH better than mountain whitefish.

And you must be much better than I am on the Weber. I catch a few, but mostly in the winter, and many times, I have gone after whitefish in the Weeb and come home stinky like skunk.
[signature]