Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
best ice tents
quick question for everybody. im looking to get an ice tent this year to accommodate me and my dad and some of our gear, whats the best tent out there for a good price that will last me for a few seasons without breaking and can handle a good amount of wind. any info would be great thanks

"tight Lines"
[signature]
I have a quickfish 3 that has treated me well. Plenty of room for me, gear, fish, and a buddy.
[signature]
I petsonally like the Eskimo hub type. They stand up to wind and seem to be put together well. However I have been in many other hub style brands and all seem to be ok. If you plan on keeping a fair amount of gear in with you go one size bigger than you need.[:/]
[signature]
I steered away from Eskimo hub type in previous years just because the bag is a pain to stuff them in. However their new model (which is on sale at Sportsmans now) has the duffle bag style and looks pretty sweet as well. I've used Eskimo, Frabill, and Ice Cube all hub style. So far my favorite has been the Ice Cube but only due to the zipper windows. Overall they all seem to be about equal in quality my only suggestion is to save yourself a fight and get one with the duffle bag.
[signature]
In my opinion i like the eskimo line of quickfish tents! I have had all of them except the big 6 man, eskimo recently came out with a new quickfish 3 that is bigger than last yrs model and it is built much more heavy duty than before, it also boosts more room. You can normally find them on ksl for a good price or sportsmans sells them around christmas for a great price. Once you been in a tent you wont go back to fishing in the elements
[signature]
I have an Eastmans Ice Cube that is similar to the quickfish. It goes in the bad super easy and is easy to set up. I have had it in some hight winds and it has done fine. And its black so the inside heats up pretty fast.
[signature]
Something you might want to keep in mind as well. Is wether you want to purchase a pop up style tent or a quick flip over style tent. I have both, the pop up type tend to be lighter to carry, but are more of a pain to move. the quick flip type are more mobile , but tend to weigh more. If i am going some place,that i think i am going to have to move allot to find the fish, i take my quick flip shelter. If i am going to a place that i am confident i am going to stay put or not move to much i will take my pop-up. If i was forced to chose, i would go with the more mobile quick flip style shelter.
[signature]
I have two tents currantly, A eskimo quick fish 3, and a killzone tent. Both tents set up the same, quick and easy. The killzone tent is cheap, the first year I used it almost all the fiberglass poles broke, killzone warantied the poles and mailed me new ones. The eskimo brand tent is a much higher quality product, it withstands very strong winds. I use the killzone for a backup or when the whole family goes. In my opionion eskimo products are very durable!!
[signature]
I would highly recommend the quickfish shelters. I had the quickfish 3, and decided it was a little tight fit for my two rods and my wife's one rod and two dogs. I now have the quickfish 4 and I love it. Also, the QF4 is taller for some extra head room while standing. It is very easy to set up, even in the wind. I just put it on the ice, screw in the four corners, then put one side directly towards the wind. I put a fifth ice anchor out a few feet and use a racheting strap to hook the hub to the ice anchor. I used to do this with a corner towards the wind, but then had to use two straps. Needless to say, I greatly enjoy my tent on those days with wind. I can handle cold, and most times just fish outside, but once you get the wind or a heavy snow.... it's into the shelter or heading home.
[signature]