Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Huntington Beach Pier today
[size 2]Well friggin marine layer and fog held on the whole time making cold and wet.[/size]

[size 2]Loaded up on good size smelt using sabaki rig then fished live bait the whole time.[/size]

[size 2]Not one friggin fish![mad] Red Tide was so thick you couldn't see 1' under water.[/size]

[size 2]We ened up just catching these little perch which were catch and release left and right.[/size]

[size 2]I mean these things were like 3 1/2 inches. So off they go but no interesting fish for us[unsure][/size]

[size 2]On the end of the pier there were some corbina and mackeral caught but even them were pretty small.[/size]

[size 2]Oh well! I hope this red time goes soon or I will go crazy![crazy][/size]
[signature]

Hey there fishfather,

Sorry to hear of the lousy luck. At least you caught smelt for bait. Sometimes even without the red tide, you can't catch a single one to save your life.

As lousy as the local, really, really nearshore catch numbers put out by the 1/2 day open-party boats are, you probably just couldn't much anyway. Way to go on the good try regardless!

JapanRon
[signature]
[size 2]Thanks JR. Took my niece. She had a blast catching smelt. These were good size smelt 3-5 inches.[shocked][/size]

[size 2] I know what you mean about catching live bait. My chumming with whole grain wheat bread seems to do the trick.[Wink][/size]

[size 2] Some volunteer told me at the pier I couldn't throw bread in the water ( I forgot to mention this ). I said why? He said it's littering.[/size]

[size 2] I said throwing un-used bread into the water for the fish to eat is illegal show me code.[/size]

[size 2] So she leaves and a Huntington PD comes up to me. He is ready to write me a ticket, here comes a Fish and Game Officer.[/size]

[size 2] He asks me if I am chumming? I said yes, he said you fine.[crazy][/size]

[size 2] He talked to the PD for me.[cool][/size]
[signature]

Hey there fishfinder my friend,

It's stories like this that just make me bow my head in frustration. The volunteer was an idiot, whom... if came to the pier often would know, just decided to make a fuss. The cop may have had to come to talk to you but to write you a ticket puts him in the possible idiot catagory. Even if you had had the regs with you, ten-to-one he would have still wanted to win the encounter. translation= ticket!

As I said before, there are some groups that hate the pier, hate fishing, and anglers. To them, nothing should be put in the ocean to 'distrub' the natural rythum of things. Whatever that might be!

Thank goodness the DFG guy was on your side or at least not writing you a ticket for something really creative! ha ha

I might have not kept as cool a head as you! ....and got a ticket!

JapanRon
[signature]
Ive never heard of anything like this before. Did you say that the person giving fishifather trouble was a volunteer. Or was it just an outspoken environmentalist?[crazy]
[signature]
[size 2] This guy had a uniform on sporting a Huntington Beach PD Volunteer patch on. I checked into that further since my post and heard that normally the volunteers are there doing the summer and are not to try to enforce any fishing regs.[/size]

[size 2] Just watch for city ord violations, etc and report them to the real police. I think this guy was just on a ride-along with the PD and decided to walk down the pier or something. [/size][size 2]I saw him talking to other people too. [/size]

[size 2] Like JR said, there are people who do not like people fishing off the pier.PERIOD[mad][/size]

[size 2] That pier in there mind is for walking, rollerblading and bike riding.[unimpressed][/size]

[size 2] I have had people walk up in the past and ask stupid questions when seeing me catching smelt for bait. ( Enviromentalist )[unsure][/size]

[size 2] They say," Aren't they to small to keep?" I say not for long. Something will eat them![sly][/size]

[size 2] I have to admit that was my first negative experience at that pier I think I can remember. [/size]

[size 2] I had Seal Beach Volunteer mention something about cutting bait once but no big deal, not real hassle and they were right[blush][/size]

[size 2] I just have bad luck when I am not floating[crazy][/size]
[signature]
[size 2]I was surprised the F&G guy was on my side. To be honest with you I didn't know if it was legal or not[blush] I just hate those volunteers that are wannabe cops![mad][/size]

[size 2] Actually he was very cool, he even confirmed me catching smelt for live bait was ok too.[/size]
[signature]