Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
People fishing on the Ice at Mantua!
Just drove up to Mantua to check the ice. It is capped and three crazy guys fishing on the ice out about 20ft from the boat ramp. They claim there is a solid 2 inches of ice where they are at. Also said they have caught a couple fish!!!
[signature]
Is the lake capped over or just by the docks?
[signature]
The lake is capped with a fair amount of cracks. I am guessing by this weekend most of the pond would be fishable.
[signature]
Now why ya got to call me crazy? It was 2 inches in the thick spots. Lol
[signature]
[quote westernization]Now why ya got to call me crazy? It was 2 inches in the thick spots. Lol[/quote]

Oh do say more! How was the catching?
[signature]
It wasn't fast by any means. The 3 of us probably caught 10-15 bows. Was more worried about the ice cracking under each step than how many we caught.
[signature]
What was crazy was how many people kept driving by eyeballing us!!!
[signature]
Yep, I was one of them! A little jealous and thinking (am I that crazy to try it). I just got done ordering my gas auger as soon as I got back to work!
[signature]
[center]So didya have a snowmobile or 4-wheeler? [crazy][pirate][img]../../../images/gforum/crazy.gif[/img]
[/center]

Did ya happen to see how the south shore is forming up? Did you need planks to get on the ice, or able to walk on from the launch area?
I usually ended up out by the Knoll. I'd bet the inlet area still has some open water where it flows in.

Guessing you weren't jumping for joy with each catch!
Thanks for the report. But there'll be bit more company out there by the time the weekend rolls around!
hand auger will do two maybe three turns will do. were you guys in the white chevy half ton?
[signature]
We basically just drove the truck out there. Edges were good by the ramp but we didnt check anywhere else.
[signature]
I was the one in the white chevy truck. I did drive up to the inlet. There was a still a good opening where the inlet comes in. The edges all looked frozen but I personally did not test them!
[signature]
Somebody will head out there in the next day or two and fall through.

Happens more than you think.
[signature]
I thought it would have been thicker. The mantua cop came by in usual fashion. I wouldn't recommend heading out for a few days at least! We stayed in waay shallow in case of a dip.
[signature]
i am hoping for 4 or more inches before the weekend or i wont be going.
[unimpressed]
[signature]
Good point that area by the ramp has had ice over there for a week or better so other venturers may want to check before they head out much further. I am amazed they could get on there today. I would have had my waders and float tube on to try that fresh of ice. But then again I'm chicken when it comes to falling through ice. Glad luck was on their side today I'd hate to see someone not make it home. Later J
[signature]