Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UL 12/5
Hit up utah lake by saratoga this morning. I got there about eight it was freezing! Ice was starting to form in all the bays! Caught 19 whities and five crappie all within about 45 min then they just shut off quit bitting. After that I went and looked over at the jordan by the pumps. The gates are closed now and there's about an inch of ice on the lake side of them[Smile]almost UL ice fishing! On the river side of the gates there was a tiny pool just full of hundreds of crawdads kinda cool lookin.
[signature]
nice crappie man along with a good amountof whities . i love that area around the hot springs and such. good to hear the gate is closed and there is ice in that arm next to the pumphouse, thats one of my favorite spots on the lake. some good perch around there too. ill probly see u out there when the hard deck sets in.
:"tight lines"
[signature]
Good report. Those crawdads are crazy... and big too. I had no idea there were in there like that..Nice fish.
[signature]
To bad you didn't take a net and get some of those crawdads for the pot.
[signature]
Great job out there. Those dads live throughout the river. That was quite a collection you saw there. Pretty unique if you ask me. Glad to hear the ice is coming soon at UL. Gonna try UL on ice for my 1st time this year.
[signature]
nice pics. The crawdads are insane. Hey TD, what is your take on the crawdads?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]There have always been crawdads in UL and the Jordan but I cannot ever recall seeing that many at one time. My guess is that they were following a current, trying to migrate to warmer or deeper water and got all bunched up at the gate.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There have been several guys I know try to catch enough to have a dad boil and have never been able to catch very many at all. I have brought up a couple hanging on the end of a piece of catfish bait but never caught any in a trap.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
You sound like you know the lake well. We might have to get together sometime. I have never fished UL. Plenty of others in Utah but not UL. I would love to bring home a ton of white bass to eat and maybe hook a nice perch or two
[signature]
" Kinda" cool lookin'!!?? Someone should make a wildlife documentary, narrated by the Dos Equis guy for that scene... Wild!

Will the work never end, so I can go fishing? Aarrggg...
[signature]
I would never eat crawdads, or anything else, out of Utah Lake. But especially not crawdads. There's a fish consumption advisory for PCBs in carp and cats, plus a paper on PCBs in the lake's sediment itself. (PCBs cause cancer.)

[url "http://www.fishadvisories.utah.gov/docs/111708_PCBs_in_Utah_Lake_Sediment_Study.pdf"]http://www.fishadvisories.utah.gov/docs/111708_PCBs_in_Utah_Lake_Sediment_Study.pdf[/url]

The crawdads in Starvation are awesome, same with Strawberry and Deer Creeks, and you aren't risking your life to eat 'em. [Smile]
[signature]
Ha ha I agree! Ill eat the panfish but that's about it
[signature]
I dont agree. I will eat everything out of UL. I love this place. The only thing that I will not eat are the carp. I am sick and tired of recent posts about the dangers of consuming UL fish. I know the DWR and whomever on the big hill are trying to save lifes, but Im going to eat all the white bass, lmb, perch, mud and channels, crappie and even the dads I want. UL water is cleaner than most other lakes around the country and praise the fish gods that it is big and beautiful and there for all of us UL lovers to enjoy.
[signature]
You will eat anything out of say Bear Lake, Strawberry, Schofield, but not Utah Lake. Better learn some biology. Utah lake is actually cleaner than most of the cold, clear bodies of water in the state because it is so biologically active. Anything that goes in there gets tied up and filtered out by all the little diatioms and such. It is present, but not in a form that will affect most macro vertebrates like the fish. Yes, it will concentrate in the top of the chain predators, but unless you eat large amounts of carp and catfish, it will not affect you. Granted TD has that third eye in the back of his head, but he has been consuming those kitty katfish for decades. It has been useful to keep track of the Power Squadron while fishing too !!!

Heavy metal pollution in Utah is a fact of life. We have an abundance of minerals through out the state, it leaches into the ground water, gets concentrated in our lakes and streams, goes into the food chain, and gets concentrated in the fish that are the top predators. I would be more worried about heavy metal toxicity from our cold, clear lakes, than from Utah Lake.

Eat and enjoy the fish and dads from UL, just don't overdue it. If you eat carp everyday for 3 meals, for 2 or 3 decades, you just might get a high enough dose, but once or twice a week ain't going to do you any damage !!!
If you're worried about cancer, leave the Salt Lake valley, and most of the other major valleys in Utah,and stay away all winter. The inversions will do you in long before a few bites of white bass will.

I work in the largest ER in Utah, and nobody has ever come in with Utah Lake poisoning; acute, chronic, or neoplastic.[Wink]
[signature]
[quote rincon_madness]I dont agree. I will eat everything out of UL. I love this place. The only thing that I will not eat are the carp. I am sick and tired of recent posts about the dangers of consuming UL fish. I know the DWR and whomever on the big hill are trying to save lifes, but Im going to eat all the white bass, lmb, perch, mud and channels, crappie and even the dads I want. UL water is cleaner than most other lakes around the country and praise the fish gods that it is big and beautiful and there for all of us UL lovers to enjoy.[/quote]

That's up to you, rincon. I personally think the health hazards outweigh any personal attachment to a lake that I might have. [url "http://www.fishadvisories.utah.gov/docs/PCBs_FAQ_ATSDR.pdf"]http://www.fishadvisories.utah.gov/docs/PCBs_FAQ_ATSDR.pdf[/url] But everyone has the right to make their own choices.
[signature]
[quote Springbuck] If you're worried about cancer, leave the Salt Lake valley, and most of the other major valleys in Utah,and stay away all winter. The inversions will do you in long before a few bites of white bass will.

I work in the largest ER in Utah, and nobody has ever come in with Utah Lake poisoning; acute, chronic, or neoplastic.[Wink][/quote]

Hi Springbuck. I'm not "worried about cancer" but I won't deliberately expose myself to known health risks, if I can do anything about it. And it's not just cancer. Here's the fact sheet about PCBs, if you're interested. [url "http://www.fishadvisories.utah.gov/docs/PCBs_FAQ_ATSDR.pdf"]http://www.fishadvisories.utah.gov/docs/PCBs_FAQ_ATSDR.pdf[/url]

I can't avoid inversions, but I sure can avoid smoking, eating fish known to be contaminated, and so forth.
Thanks for the thoughts.
[signature]
[quote Therapist]You will eat anything out of say Bear Lake, Strawberry, Schofield, but not Utah Lake. Better learn some biology. Utah lake is actually cleaner than most of the cold, clear bodies of water in the state because it is so biologically active. Anything that goes in there gets tied up and filtered out by all the little diatioms and such. It is present, but not in a form that will affect most macro vertebrates like the fish. Yes, it will concentrate in the top of the chain predators, but unless you eat large amounts of carp and catfish, it will not affect you. Granted TD has that third eye in the back of his head, but he has been consuming those kitty katfish for decades. It has been useful to keep track of the Power Squadron while fishing too !!!

Heavy metal pollution in Utah is a fact of life. We have an abundance of minerals through out the state, it leaches into the ground water, gets concentrated in our lakes and streams, goes into the food chain, and gets concentrated in the fish that are the top predators. I would be more worried about heavy metal toxicity from our cold, clear lakes, than from Utah Lake.

Eat and enjoy the fish and dads from UL, just don't overdue it. If you eat carp everyday for 3 meals, for 2 or 3 decades, you just might get a high enough dose, but once or twice a week ain't going to do you any damage !!![/quote]

Hi Therapist.

I'm a bit surprised at the defensiveness that has been displayed about this lake. The state advises to avoid Utah Lake carp and catfish consumption entirely. Crawdads eat the same things as carp and cats do.

I am less concerned about the conditions in different lakes than I am about the actual testing and discovery of contaminants that took place.

My mom died of cancer last year, an unusual digestive system carcinoma, and having watched that I promise you I will do all I can to avoid agents that are known to cause cancer, like PCBs.

You have the right to make your own choices, of course, but I personally won't fish in a waterbody that has a consumption advisory because we do eat so many fish.

The nice thing is the state has a map showing where they've done sampling, and there actually aren't that many positives. [url "http://www.fishadvisories.utah.gov/map.htm"]http://www.fishadvisories.utah.gov/map.htm[/url]

Anyway, thanks for the thoughts.
[signature]
I have grown up eating about every fish out of utah lake. The health advisory says do not eat more than 8 oz per month. Plus life causes cancer.[Wink]
[signature]
definatley, well have to talk when it freezes up so we can get some good numbers of fish.

"tight lines"
[signature]
[quote LIL_FISH]I have grown up eating about every fish out of utah lake. The health advisory says do not eat more than 8 oz per month. Plus life causes cancer.[Wink][/quote]

It actually says for adults, 1 4-oz serving a month, for kids none, for pregnant/nursing women, none. [url "http://www.fishadvisories.utah.gov/docs/UtahLake_pamphlet.pdf"]http://www.fishadvisories.utah.gov/docs/UtahLake_pamphlet.pdf[/url]

You're right, lots of unavoidable things cause cancer. Which is why I try to avoid those types of things that are avoidable. But anyway everyone gets to make their own choices. [Smile]
[signature]