Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah youth duck opener.
Saturday was the utah state youth duck opener.

I of course am older than t he maximum age allowed to hunt on this day, but theres no law about just going out and watching.

I think this is the greatest thing the DWR has come up with in a long while. Why? Because on a warm sunny afternoon before all us old men put a hurtin on the ducks, here were a tiny handful of kids in a marsh full of ducks and geese, and it was all thiers.

Providing such opportunity and memories for our youth just cant be beat.

Anyways, I know theres a few guys looking for the details of what I saw so that next weekend they will have some fun too. So, heres my report.

In the last week I have visited many of our refuges. The bear river bird refuge is extremely low. Well, lets get it right and just say empty. Theres no water there. For those of you who saw it the last two seasons before the hunt, it is much worse this year. These years of continued drought are taking thier toll.

On the flip side, the public shooting grounds and salt creek bolth have water, and are holding lots of birds.

The GSL is way low, but if you can gte across the huge mud flats, you will find lots of concentrated birds on the water.

Anyways, the youth hunt looked like a lot of fun, the kids were getting some shooting in, and I even saw a retrieve or two before the mosquitoes forced me back into my truck.

I will be making the rounds all week up here in the northern lakes and marshes. Scouting bird locations and flight patterns. It is my expriience that on the opener, a lot of attempted patterning doesnt do much since the birds dont get a rest and theres a gun waiting just about every where they would usually try to go. But as soon as things slow a bit, knowing where they will be is the key.

It was interesting to watch the birds reaction and flight path when the kids started shooting though.
[signature]
Hey Predator, how have ya been?

great report, I love to hear about the young ones and their first hunts. the vary same weekend as you spoke of michigan had its youth deer hunt for youngsters age 12 and 13, they are allowed to use bows only under the supervision of their adult gaurdians.

What a great time to be a kid [Smile] during season's openers.

this brings back memories of my first duck. I had my own privet 1/4 acre pond in the middle of the woods that would draw in ducks by the dozens.

I had a natural blind of service berries that provided a nice canopy with plenty of room to sit under.

there wasnt any thing spactacular about shooting a duck as it came in for a landing other than the thrill of being 14 with my single shot 410 I had received the previous christmas.

when they came in and circled the pond I got off a lucky shot and bagged my first mallard. (drake)
[signature]
I took my nephews out (my kids are to old) to farmington bay sat. they had a great time. the oldest one got real exited when I was able to call in some geese and to his surprise he knocked one down. the funniest thing was his dad was kidding around and told him the night before that if either of them got goose he would have it mounted. well he is now $300.00 poorer.
[signature]
Thanks for the report Predator,

My oldest boy 14yrs was sick with the flu so we didn't get out,He told me it's know big deal,because its more comfortable when it cools off,It bumed me out because I wanted to see how the marsh was doing at salt creek,I hunted salt creek twice last year and did better than anywhere else,The farm pond in corrine was to low to hunt last year and was not holding birds.If you ever want to get out with me and the boys let me know,The land owner said someone went in and dredged the farm pond this summer so it may hold more birds this year even if its low.We are going down to fish lake to meet up with my dad,I haven't seen him since last opener,sure brings back memories when we both call to a flock and they start dive bombing the dekes,I hope to instill the same memories in my boys,Nothing like watching birds work the set up,circle a few times and come in to the hole,LOL.Gett'n excited.

Good luck on the opener and be safe.

Tony[cool]

Good luck
[signature]
I had heard that Bear River was practicaly dry. The DWR had some nice maps of the public shooting grounds and salt creek and am planning on checking them out. Thanks for the info. In the past I have hunted at herald crane, have you been out there?
[signature]
Not practically dry, dead dry. The worst its been in a lot of years. I mainly hunt the refuge and love hunting it on the opener, but not this year.

I havent been out to harold crane yet this year. I have hunted it in the past though. Nice spot for redheads. Redheads being one of my most sought after ducks. Nothing beats a good year for redheads. Hopefully we will have another one this year.
[signature]
Pred,

So I go over to muck out the old Goose blind over in your neck of the woods off the Promitory access and what do I find. No water, none. My pit is at least 3 miles from the nearest aqua. Looks like I'll be huntin the Thikol pond this year. There were about a billion gesse on it. You don't think they'd mind do ya? I'll be working for the opener, but I usually don't get serious until mid-November anyway. If you find yourself in the PSG's opening day let me know how the water level in the big pond just south of Club 22's land is will ya? Thanks.

Scott