Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wipers are active at Willard ( report )
Sure not like the action of yesteryear but we did manage 4 wipers, a 20, a 19, a 17 and a 15 incher. Most were caught on either a modified Producer or a lure that is about the same size but darker. Wiperslayer and I fish in his 12 foot boat and launched from that new road they cut down to the water in the S/W corner. We saw a little surface activity but no boils. The first wiper was caught half way between the west dike and the island, it was the 20 incher and when it hit I thought it was going to spool me. I already had most my line out and this fish took another 20 foot before I could slow it down, man it was great getting into a good wiper again[cool]. We trolled around the same area for awhile and then headed to the light pole. As we made a turn to start back I caught my second wiper, not as good of a fight but it still made a great run. Wiperslayer caught one on the next pass of the same area and we had a couple more get off after they hit. We trolled back toward the S/W corner and the slayer got the last wiper of the day. We started fishing around 3:30pm and got off the water at sunset. Most of the afternoon the water was glassy calm and a great time to be on the Bay, thanks Wiperslayer. The water level has stopped dropping and we thought it might have come up a little but not more than 6 inches. When we got there a couple of guys were getting their boat off the water and said they had caught a few small ones, another guy was casting from shore that claimed to have caught over 30, 6 to 8 inch wipers casting a spinner. We were the only ones on the water until an hour or so before dark when a bigger boat showed up. I'll have to go to the north marina this week and see if I can launch my big boat. I called the north marina three times last week but they would not answer the phone, hopefully they will answer their door when I go a knocking, I've got to get a straight answer to the dredging question. Because we had to carry everything up over the dike, we tried to downsize and I thought I had left my camera in the truck and after releasing those big wipers I found it, I got a couple of pictures but none of the fish, I'll post the pictures later. WH2
[signature]
Nice report, good to hear someone is catching those wipers. I've been skunked the last 5 trips or so. I would love to get into them but it's too much work to get out there on the water and catch nada.
[signature]
Great report, I would love to get to willard for some wipers, but getting ready for the hunt!!!! I finally got my boat put back together this weekend and it runs great, now just need some water in willard next year and I will be set!!!
[signature]
I think the irrigation water is turned off now, so I hope willard can come up a few more feet before it turns cold. I do have hope for next spring though, I think if the fish in Utah Lake make it through winters where the deepest part of the lake is 5-6 feet, the fish in willard can make it through with 12-15 deep water. Thanks for the report wiperhunter2. Good luck next time you head out.
[signature]
Here are a couple of pictures of what it looked like yesterday on the water. I called the North marina this morning and finally got a hold of someone. They are still waiting on the dredging equipment but they think it should be in the next two weeks, I've heard that before, but what do you do. WH2
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]You launched at the S/W corner? You can get a vehicle up on the dike? Do you mean the S/E corner by the freeway? Just wondering...[/size][/font]
[signature]
Is it like a ramp or does it just run next to the water? Do you thing I could launcha 14ft boat? I would like to catch some wipers before the years end.
[signature]
any idea what the water temp is ?

chris
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Thanks for the info, WH2. That's a lot of work for a few fish. Go for it guys![/size][/font]
[signature]
Just a little news . I saw on the news tonight that Weber Basin is shutting off secondary water tomorrow .Thats about 2 weeks early . So willard may see some in flows . Would like to get a wiper someday . Thanks for the report .
[signature]
The road is made of loose gravel and it runs right down to the water. If the road was open it would be easy to back your boat and trailer into the water. I talked to the people at the north marina and they told me it was OK to drive down the channel at the north marina and launch in the bay. Muskyhunter and I did this a couple of week ago and had no problem, you can even put your trailer right into the water, although we did not put the truck in the water.

We were not using a fish finder so we did not get a temp of water but it was a lot cooler than a couple of weeks ago. WH2
[signature]