Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looks sketchy at Causey...
Went for a little recon drive this morning to Pineview and Causey. Pineview is still wide open. Little patches of ice in the fingers. Continued to Causey. As I approached the dam I noticed about 5 trucks. Looking at the ice by the dam it looked as if a zamboni had cleared the ice for a hockey game ( which was black with a couple holes drilled in it). There were tracks leading from the dam down to the ice where I spotted a large group on the point below the lookout, a couple guys across from them by the cliffs, a couple groups up by the scout camp, and 2 lonely souls heading up the inlet.
Can anyone tell me if that black looking ice was safe and how thick the ice was up there. Looking at going in the morning.

[signature]
It is likely safe with that many people on the ice but generally, it is always a good idea to check ice for thickness as you get on it. Black ice is usually very slick but stronger than white or milkly ice. Hopefully there will be someone with a report from there this weekend.
[signature]
Was there this morning. Ice varied between 3-5 inches, fishing sucked and was slow for everyone.
[signature]
Thanks for the update. Might change plans and head to Mantua. Just need to get out. Were you fishing below the lookout?
[signature]
Thank you for the differances in ice explanation. I am a little leary on going this early but have to go somewhere.
[signature]
We fished Manua yesterday and that is the place to go to catch some fish. Ice is 3.5 to 4" think and the catching was fairly steady all morning. We caught perch and rainbows. You will see some that black ice there as well but there is a little snow covering too.
[signature]
I was one of those on Causey. The ice was Great a good 5 near the cliffs. Fishing was slow but was able to get 5 on the deck.
[signature]