Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Standard setup for UL Ice Fishing?
I live close to UL and was excited to hit the ice hard last year, but only made a few trips and got skunked everytime. What are some standard setups that have given you success? Any pictures of setups would also be greatly appreciated.
[signature]
any standard ice flies fished off the bottom aswell as small jigs and things like that. i always do good on every species with a halis spoon/jig with a chain tipped with a perch eye. for wb use sonics or kastmasters and you got to jig those constantly to tick the WB off. the whole thing with utah lake is finding fish. if your not getting hits within 10 minutes, move until you find bitting fish.

"tightLines"
[signature]
Sorry no pic but a standard setup for me is a bottom bouncing rig. I tie one hook 16 inches from the end of the line and then tie a jig at the end. Bait both hooks let it drop to the bottom, reel up all the slacked line and jig up and down. Usually on the downward fall is when I get hits but you can also dead stick and just keep and eye on the rod.

Another suggestion is spring bobbers stikes during the ice season are usually really light a spring boober will help you get those light bites
[signature]
I always end up trying a lot of stuff, no matter the lake/specie, etc. But at UL, I've caught em on spoons tipped with wb meat, jigs from tiny to 14 oz or so, and the like. Tip with worms, but if you catch a wb, sacrifice it to the cause, cuz all fish love it.

The Sonar lure is a staple for WB, they like the vibration, but last year on one trip I had a Chinese guy next to me and bluegill were hitting his sonar lure like nuts.

One guy was doing great on a small jig with what they call a Crappie stinger plastic..

Look for smallish stuff, not too small for WB, but that flutters, rattles, vibrates or twitches , and make it flashy or colorful so it can be seen in that green water.

Start there and go slower/quieter as needed.
[signature]
heddon sonar jigs. sportsmans and cabelas both carry um.

pound the bottom for 15 seconds then let it rest a couple inches off bottom for 10 seconds then repeat. If there is white bass around this will catch them. Red is my favorite but all the colors work.
[signature]