Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hyrum Ice?
[quote fishmaniac]Man I hope those waters start to freeze up! Get the crowds off Mantua!!! I've already noticed the fishing is starting to slow down up there[/quote]

Water quality has more to do with the fishing catch rates than fishing pressure at Mantua. Truth hurts huh?

K people get ready to take a seat and watch the action unfold!

Let me be the 1st to say....in before the lock.
[signature]
Hey thanks for the great run down. Your data is correct I ran by this afternoon and walked out on the ice to chat with a fisherman and when I noticed how close I was to the current at the spillway and open water I about kicked my own butt for walking out there. Two inches of solid clear ice but the current could cut that to a half inch by tomorrow. Be careful out there. J
[signature]
[quote catmaster23]There is no ice and it probably won't freeze at all this year. I know it's tough news but we will just have to muddle through. Maybe you could fish mantua, I heard it's frozen. Just so everyone knows Hyrum will NOT freeze and it isn't worth the time time to drive by it![/quote]

Humm according to the report above this post....so much for hyrum will not freeze this year.
[signature]
I dont know why everyone is saying slow fishing at Mantua. I've been tearing it up, with big gills big perch big bass and tons of bows Smile
[signature]
It was a joke.
[signature]
[quote catmaster23]It was a joke.[/quote]

What ever you say. You northern fellas get pretty protective of your precious waters.
[signature]
In before the lock! [:p]
[signature]
[quote CRM801]I dont know why everyone is saying slow fishing at Mantua. I've been tearing it up, with big gills big perch big bass and tons of bows Smile[/quote]

It's because they fish the same gear in the same spot....then claim the masses are the ones who slowed the fishing. They might as well blame the summer power squadron, the moon, the wind, the fact their worms won't wiggle properly, or that the fish developed a bad case of lock jaw.
[signature]
hey ETD, no disrespect intended, but how many years have you fished Mantua?

that's what I thought.
[signature]
[quote lavaman]hey ETD, no disrespect intended, but how many years have you fished Mantua?

that's what I thought.[/quote]

I just get a kick on how you believe that too many fisherman on the ice kill the fishing. Those weed beds in the water change the water quality after the 1st month or so of ice....which drops the catch rates at that water. Go to the library and pick up a book.....facts like that are easy to find.

Now I will agree with you somewhat when it comes to Utah Lake and White Bass. Since there is no limit it only takes 20 people taking 100 to equal 2,000 harvested in a day. In a small harbor it only takes a weekend to slow the catch rates down.

You have your opinions and I have mine. Mine come from books and yours comes from 1st hand expirence. I just love how because you have a fishing rod, a fish finder, time out on the water, and an ice auger, that somehow makes you a wildlife biologist.
[signature]
Whoa..never said I was a wildlife biologist, never said I was an expert fisherman.

But I know I could outfish you any day of the week. Smile

All in good fun, of course.
[signature]
its just a lake, and its fishin boys. if theres tons of people fishing and they are constantly seeing the same lures, baits, etc. fishing will slow down it happens almost evrywhere, fish arent stupid either, they like a change in presentaition and bait like people like to eat differnt things everyday. utah lake on the other hand has so many white bas it shouldent matter, they are constantly moving in and out of harbors in different schools, even if there not biting they are there. but really we never know what fish are thinking, thats why we fish and we love it cause we love the challenge.

tight lines
[signature]
Too many fisherman spoils the soup....

depends on the fisherman, what they're doing, the lake depth - lots of factors. Are they driving sleds/atvs? Are they pounding LOTS of holes with power augers? Are their kids throwing rocks, and stuffing gum and gas down a hole? Are you in 50-100ft of watere? Or a 4 ft depth?

I can guarantee if you wanna target Walleye under ice - be stealthy about it! Once lights up, and ice gets active - the walleye will go away (move out of a harbor).

There are some theories that the vibration of an auger can actually draw fish, or make them active. There's opposite theories too.

Hey Catmaster - I did mention "pigs and cows" - doesn't that cover the Wellsvillians who own Hyrum?

[center][inline "Funny Christmas Pics (16).jpg"]
[/center]
[center][inline "Funny Christmas Pics (29) plus.JPG"]
[/center]
[quote lavaman]Whoa..never said I was a wildlife biologist, never said I was an expert fisherman.

But I know I could outfish you any day of the week. Smile

All in good fun, of course.[/quote]

Sounds to me like you want to meet in the locker room and compare egos. You win....yours is bigger.
[signature]
[quote Jazzperch1] Utah lake on the other hand has so many white bas it shouldent matter, they are constantly moving in and out of harbors in different schools, even if there not biting they are there. but really we never know what fish are thinking, thats why we fish and we love it cause we love the challenge.
[/quote]

True that. A couple of locals there on Monday told me that the fishing was now ruined for the rest of the year after that 1st weekend. I told them, "come back on friday, I am sure the white bass will return by then. There is no way the White Bass of Utah Lake are gone forever now".
[signature]
Touche sir.
[signature]
[quote EvilTyeDyeTwin]
Sounds to me like you want to meet in the locker room and compare egos. You win....yours is bigger.[/quote]

Like I said, all in good fun.
[signature]
I don't know what surprised me more, the fact that you know what a library is or that you read a book. Where do you think the information came from in that book you read, another book? It's called time in the field and that's where the information in those books come from. But I'm sure you already knew that.
[signature]
OK guys, enough is enough.
[signature]
10-4
[signature]