Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hyrum Ice?
+1 on the joke. It will be interesting to see how long it takes for it to get safe, though.
[signature]
I don't think it ever slows down much...some people just know how to fish it better than others (eg. lite line, spring bobbers, small hooks, right spot, etc).
I heard that Wellsville Dam is frozen and there are 10 pound bass being caught through the ice [Wink]. Maybe all the Hyrum peeps will be fishing it.
[signature]
???? light line? Small hooks? Is this the Little Dinkers Club of America???
[signature]
[quote Kevin_VanDam]I don't think it ever slows down much...some people just know how to fish it better than others (eg. lite line, spring bobbers, small hooks, right spot, etc).[/quote]

Personally - I think that holds true for Hyrum - big lake, muddy bottom on much of it. But Mantua is such a weed-bed of a smaller, shallower pond - I do think that by later winter the detritus accumulates enough to lower the oxygenation levels and thus - reduce fish activity. (does that sound Mr Peabody enuf for ya?!)
Plus it gets hammered! Hyrum's pretty big, relatively speaking, and deep, so much of the time - don't know the fisheses even know we're tromping on top of em!

But you watch - the fishers will migrate to the inlets as season progresses - following the fishes to fresher water flows. (say THAT 10 times fast!)

[center]2 dinks for the price of 1. Chuckles.
[center][inline "Funny Christmas Pics (2).jpg"]
Why would you give away the biggest secrete in the valley? There goes my spring bass spot, thanks a lot.
[signature]
Ok book mobile, I've got a book here with a quote from a Minnesota DNR biologist that reads:" once ice fishermen find a lake with big bluegills, they decent upon it in hordes, I've seen anglers virtually wipe out a good bluegill lake in one winter season":
Must be true if a biologist says so.
Ka-pow!
[signature]
So where did it say that the catch rates of ALL the fish species slowed down? From what you quoted that page is talking about the BIGGEST (good) fish.

So what was the bluegill population completely gone then by the end of the year?

I agree with that biologist on only 1 point. It only takes a few master fisherman to desimate the "BIG" fish population. However when it comes to Mantua catch rates......tent city ruining the catch rates is only an excuse....not an explination.

Next time you don't find fish....go ahead and blame it on some other BS factor.
[signature]
My only question is what is your excuse? You guys aren't expert fisherman yet you respond as if you are. What do you know about big fish populations except that you don't effect them. Just remember your post numbers aren't a reflection of your fishing skills.
[signature]
Dude this whole "everyone ice fishing is ruining the entire season" is BS, PERIOD! There are so many factors that go into why we as fisherman catch or don't catch fish that it is nearly impossible to say what is what as things are always changing.

As for my posting numbers I actually contribute on here, that is why my number of posts are high. In fact I bet this year alone I have fished more than you! I smell some jealousy from your end and it is some stinky cologne. You need a shower ASAP!

We don't have excuses about why a day goes bad. I like to THINK that I just didn't have the right presentation or lure for the day or that I wasn't in the right spot. But you don't see us being paranoid, whinning, and crying on the forum about how everyone else fishing on the ice is suddenly ruining our season.
[signature]
+1. This is gonna get locked.
[signature]
I would consider your one and only mantua ice fishing experience extremely slow.. I haven't fished it but judging by the reports, this year is kinda weird. It's not even that the tent city has hammered on all of the fish. It's that the fishing really hasn't been good. At first ice it seems like there are always people posting pics of their 50 fat gills mixed with other fish. and not just the experts. I have had several 100+ fish days on mantua and I deffinently have no clue what I am doing. I honestly think It will pick up in the next week or two. I hope it does the reports are fun to read. I've also missed seeing the pictures of hundreds of white bass spilling out of piled up jet sleds this year.
[signature]
[quote Capt.Nereus]I would consider your one and only mantua ice fishing experience extremely slow.. I haven't fished it but judging by the reports, this year is kinda weird. It's not even that the tent city has hammered on all of the fish. It's that the fishing really hasn't been good. At first ice it seems like there are always people posting pics of their 50 fat gills mixed with other fish. and not just the experts. I have had several 100+ fish days on mantua and I deffinently have no clue what I am doing. I honestly think It will pick up in the next week or two. I hope it does the reports are fun to read. I've also missed seeing the pictures of hundreds of white bass spilling out of piled up jet sleds this year.[/quote]

We agree it sure wasn't like the fast and furious bluegill spawn or nothing. To us it seemed slow as well.

The argument is the whole concept of "if iced bodies of water are posted on the forum then the masses will hit it and the fishing will suck for the rest of the season".

The asian folk I saw at UL had TONS of white bass spilling out of their sleds.
[signature]
Your questions are nonsense. It's really pretty simple: Angler pressure DOES have an effect on fish populations. Don't break a sweat over it though.
[signature]
I don't know how much pressure pelican gets as I have never fished it but from what I have heard it is kinda similar to mantua ( small shallow and weedy) the fishing there seems to stay pretty good throughout the ice season. If it gets less pressure than mantua that could be part of your answer.
[signature]
[quote Capt.Nereus]I don't know how much pressure pelican gets as I have never fished it but from what I have heard it is kinda similar to mantua ( small shallow and weedy) the fishing there seems to stay pretty good throughout the ice season. If it gets less pressure than mantua that could be part of your answer.[/quote]

You've never fished it. Now that is classic!

Those are two very different places dude. Get real they are not only different bodies of water but they are seperated by 229 miles. Plus there are different species of fish in Mantua than there is in Pelican.

Seriously flawed point sir. Do your homework bro.
[signature]
Wasn't making a point, just asking a question.
[signature]
Campbells soup should be begging you two to go to work for them with as many pots as you stir at once! [Wink]
[signature]
Amen to that Northern. They could call it bowtye dye w/dork. I get sick and tired of all the testies that think they are all that and a bucket of you know what... This use to be site to help the fellow fisherman,but has turned into a testostarone board...pisses me off.
[signature]
Just curious - but were you dudes on debate team in school? It's just sometimes I feel like I'm the middle of an episode of "Point Counter Point" with Jane Curtin and Dan Akroyd!
Did I miss - is there a BFT-Tshirt offer for "winning" on a thread?

I thought the post was asking about ice conditions.

And from what your buddy CV sez - it's almost on. I'm not an ice-shelf kinda guy myself, something about having a full cap comforts me. Besides - best fishings on the other side. But if HE's ok on it . . . I need to get a spud bar!