Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm fishing for gar...
[fishin] I'm fishing for gar and I would like to know what to use to catch them with
[signature]
Hi,I used to use cut bait on the bottom as if catfishing,also small live fish,try a bobber,also surface lures,such as a rapala shallow diver floating,I cut long narrow pieces of cut bait.You can use hookless lures that entangle in their teeth[Wink][inline IMG_0165.JPG]There is something about catching a fish with a lure you make using your own two hands,not to mention your brain.I used a piece of net from a basketball hoop.I attached an oval ring to tie too,and sprayed it with shrimp sceant,good luck
[signature]
Ive never specifically targeted gar. And as paul said they can be hooked with artificial baits and wrapping.Another similar wrapping tech. ive seen was a small stick wrapped with cotton butchers string, make a nice tight rope ball on the stick and use it as a hook. When i use too jug-line/limb-line a small stretch of canal, Ive had excellent luck catching 2-3ft gars with cutbait right on the bottom.(waterways were about4-8ft deep.)
[signature]
us cut bait. or small bluegill hooked in the back.[Image: bobwink.gif][fishin]
[signature]
2 ways that work the best for me is take a fish head spin lure and a piece of rope 6inches long,unwrap the bottom 2-3 inches of rope so its frayed and run it by threr head when they pop up and they will snap at it and tangle there teeth. Other is simple minnow on a bobber. When they take it let them run with it for about 2 minutes. Sometime they will have it in there teeth for a long time b4 they eat it. Set hook and hold on
[signature]
My last few catfishing trips produced more gar than catfish.
[Image: decentalligatorgar2012.jpg]
I tested the modified 3-way against the carolina, and like paul said straight on the bottom with a carolina rig worked the best. Cut-bait and whole shiners seemed too work best, against beef stew meat,gizzards, cut-bait,shiners. I have also caught them on shrimp.

The possibility of a gar/cat popping decent mono, braided is slim. But as a safety i use 18 and 24 inch mustad steel leaders(45lb test), with my carolina rig. Worked hella good dragging in a 50 lbs alligator snapper.
[Image: alligatorsnapperrodandreel1april-16-2012.jpg]
[Image: alligatorsnapperrodandreel2april-16-2012.jpg]
I havnt had alot of time too test these rigs out but i think they would probably work using cutbait.
[Image: floatinggarrig1.jpg]
[Image: floatinggarrig2.jpg]
[Image: floatinggarrig3.jpg]
Pretty simple rig, main line connected too a 18 inch mustad steel leader. 3 split shot sinkers connected too the main line about 6-8 inches from bobber. You can use what ever hook you prefer, mine has a 6/0 demon perfect circle 3x strong.
[signature]
This is another popping style rig.I have used this 1 for channel cats and gar.
[Image: garrig1.jpg]
[Image: garrig2.jpg]
[Image: garrig3.jpg]
[Image: garrig4.jpg]

Another pretty simple rig, I used 50 lbs mono connected between a swivel and my steel leader with a bass sinker.
chartreuse buzzbaits with some nylon on the bait so their teeth hook it

catch alot..

have fun
[signature]
Holly Snapper! ..Ive had softshell turtle really nice.I bet you got him on the bottom as well...

Darn to bad no cats this time[frown]
[signature]
Hey Jeremiah,how is it..Listen I don't trust that snap your using ,especially a gar ,they can get that thing open ,I'd just put a large round split ring,30 or 40 lb rated whatever you like,or an "oval split ring"use that instead to connect the hook to the leader.You can put some rings on your hooks at home and to change,take the ring off from the leader to make it easier[Wink].

You ever fish a slip bobber?You can have a weight on the bottom with your bait above it,the bobber will hold the bait up off the bottom and the weight will keep the bobber from drifting away..

The smaller rig bellow looked good
[signature]
yea i caught it on bottom, was fun. Actually mustad actually makes badass clips, they arent like the walmart clips they actually pull against itself. the whole rig would have too tear up. same carolina rig i used on the turtle, just added a cork too it the line will give way before the leader. other clips ive seen had little tabs on metal holding the clip those are crapola.

ive never tried the slip bobber but am thinking about it already checked into it. i hear i works good against waves.
[signature]