Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which Sonar to buy?
Im getting a sonar for ice fishing. I was looking at getting the Showdown Ice Troller by Marcum. Has anybody ever used this one? Or, would I be better off getting a regular sonar and whats the advantages/ diSadvantages for both? THANKS FOR ANY HELP
[signature]
Tubedude bought that brand last year I think and wrote about what he liked/disliked somewhere, but I can't find the post. We will see if he chimes in here.
[signature]
[font "Calibri"]Info on the showdown in a couple posts.[/font]

[font "Calibri"][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=703345;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=unread#unread[/font]"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/...unread#unread[/font][/url][/url]
[font "Calibri"][/font]
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=702028;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=unread#unread"][font "Calibri"][/url][/font][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=699648;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=unread#unread"][font "Calibri"][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=699648;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=unread#unread"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=699648;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=unread#unread[/url][/font]
[font "Calibri"][/font]
[cool][#0000ff]The "Ice Troller" model is smaller and more portable than the larger and more expensive 5.6 model. At 4000 watts, it is only half as powerful than the larger model and target separation is 2", compared to 1/2" for the 5.6 unit. That can be big when fishing for bottom hugging fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Another big difference is the lack of the zoom feature on the Ice Troller. You can learn to love that zoom.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The IT also uses AA batteries whereas the larger and more powerful 5.6 uses a 12 v...which is included along with a charger.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][url "http://www.marcumtech.com/Products/tabid/92/CategoryID/10/List/0/Level/a/ProductID/39/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName%2cProductName"]ICE TROLLER LINK[/url][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][url "http://www.marcumtech.com/Products/tabid/92/CategoryID/10/List/0/Level/a/ProductID/40/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName%2cProductName"]SHOWDOWN 5.6 LINK[/url][/#0000ff]
[signature]
So TubeDude do u have one of the showdowns? if so do u like it or am i better off getting a Vex Or Humminbird?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I have the 5.6...going into my second year with it. Bought one of the earlier models and did not like it. But they reworked a lot of the electronics and functions and my current model is all I need. Unlike a lot of "TV watchers" I only use the electronics for two main purposes...checking depth and finding fish. After that I swiss cheese the ice and play musical holes...not taking my sonar with me. I fish mainly one rod and fish it with finesse and my complete attention. I catch plenty of fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One of the great things I like about my Showdown is that I can shoot through the ice to quickly check depth and fish presence without having to drill a bunch of test holes. I park my sled, take the sonar and a jug of warm water and start testing random spots to find contour lines, humps or rockpiles, weedbeds...and fish. When I find a promising spot I leave the Showdown and jug and go back for my sled and auger. Can't believe how much easier that is than having to drill a bunch of holes just to check depth...or look for fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]But, when the fish are touchy and you gotta play with them, the Showdown comes into its own. You can set the zoom for the bottom few feet and watch how the fish are responding to different presentations. Then you can change your game to find something that works. Much better than fishing fishless water...or giving up on a spot that holds fish just because you ain't gettin' any.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]What should you get? That is a very personal thing. I suggest you hook up with some guys who have different kinds and have them show you how they operate. Better than buying something on price...or just to have "something"...and then kick yourself every time you go fishing. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Buying a sonar is no different than choosing a rod, reel, line, lures, etc. Different strokes for different folks. We all have our own ideas of what we like best...for our own personal reasons. Best to get something you like and can feel confident in using. Fishing with confidence is more important than what is on the end of your line...or flashing colored lights at you.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I love my Bird and so do all my vex owning friends! [Wink]
[signature]
Showdown hands down by far had a vex and a bird. Going from not drilling holes to find depth and being able to see both poles in the water and being able to see if my bait is still on my jig the zoom is amazing so easy to use and the noise button so will never get scattered the $350 is the best investment I have ever made for ice fishing the scream can be heated with a push of a button I can run it with the heat and light on for two trips easy
[signature]
Does anybody know the difference between the 5.6 and the dual beam? Whys the dual beam better?
[signature]
I think it all depends on how deep you are fishing I wouldn't spend the extra money on the duel beam and I don't think anyone sells them off you are fishing real deep the duel beam makes your sonar tighter
[signature]
Dual beam can also be useful if one is fishing where there is a steep sloped bottom. By narrowing the beam one will have less area below the cone that is not being picked up by the finder.
[signature]
I purchased the Ice Troller a year ago and I love it. My intention was to use it as a locator to shoot through the ice or for quick trips before or after work. I planned to get a "high end" flasher later.

I like it so well that it may be awhile before I get anything else. I really like that it fits in my pocket. I can run it as a flasher, or just use it to find the fish and get my depth right. I often put it back in my pocket after I have the fish figured out.

For $49 you can buy a kit with a case, connectors and I think it includes a 12v battery. The have them at Cabela's.

I think what I like the most is how quite it and the 5.6 are. No buzzing or clicking or annoying (to me) flasher dials...

When, or if I get the high end unit I have not decided what that would be. I would either get the 5.6 or try the new Marcum LX-7. It looks like it takes the 5.6 technology and combines it with a traditional flasher screen, etc.

I would wait for reviews and possibly a next generation model.

In summary, the Ice Troller is just great. I love it, my kids love it. If there are other folks out on the ice fishing, they often come over to see why I am catching and they are not. I enjoy helping them find (or not find) the fish for them as well.

Oh, btw I don't know that I'll ever buy the case and big battery. Although it is very nice, the AA batteries seem to last forever, and I love that it fits in my pocket...

Best regards,
Bobwhitebarry
[signature]
I personally use the Humminbird Ice55 and love that thing. Does everything I want and more. There are no cons to it that I can think of.
[signature]
Been a vex owner for many years. I have 3. I haven't tried any of the new sonars that are available. Feel no need to. I catch plenty of fish, have been skunked twice in the last 10 years. Sounds like the other manufacturers may have caught up to the vex in technology. Vexlars are simple, small and extremely accurate. I suppose about any of the brands out there are pretty good now days. Personally I would not ice fish without a sonar unit.
[signature]