Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stradic Ci4 or W&MSkeet Reese Spinning
I am in the market for a spinning reel for a new bass fishing/anything that bites setup. I have been lusting after one the the 2500 Shimano stradic Ci4's but they are pretty pricey and I am not made of money. However I did pick up a Wright & Mcgill Skeet Reese 2500 and I have to say it felt just as good as the stradic though a bit heavier.

My problem with buying the stradic is that you can't really find a new one for under $200 and I could get a very nice looking W&M reel and a new rod for less money. The W&M is only $75 and has an aluminum body and Jesus H Christ it come with a spare spool that is a perfect match of the standard spool. That is enough for me and I could afford the St Crois 6.6 rod I've been wanting.

However, I have already gone down this road with an Okuma Trio 30 which is currently going down hill it seems. The Trio is a wonderful reel until about 3 months use at which point they seem to lose a bit of their sheen. I have a trio 20 as well but I haven't used it enough times for it to slow down.

What I want is a nice reel that will last me 3 years of moderate bass and pike fishing. Where I am if you are fishing bass you will get pike and occasionally musky so this reel needs to be able to handle anything. If anyone could let me know what they think it would be great. I would like to hear any other suggestions on other nice reels that come with nice spare spools.
[signature]
I hear you about the stratics. I have four and hope I never lose one. I have bought two Symetre's since the stratics and find them just a small step down. Still smooth and light and tough. And only about $100.
[signature]
I have the sustain 2500,it helped me in this years contest.Its a good reel if you want to land that trophy catch.I have on 15 lb power pro,good line to go along with this reel,I wolud'nt go less than 10,and you can put up to 20lb braid.Is braided line common for your area,or is more of a southern thing.I went to Cali,and their wallmarts had none,ended up having to get mono[Image: angry.gif].Down here I had to go up to 17 lb mono,as a kid,"kept getting broke off"as a teen I made the change,and have'nt looked back.[#4040ff]FL mod[/#4040ff] Paulpro knows fishing like BO Knows baseball.[inline "5.10lb 443 bass in the lead,Paulpro.jpg"]
[signature]
I don't use mono, I am apparently challenged with it. Every time I give it a try eventually I will lose a favorite lure to it and then it goes on the bottom of the boat. I use 10lb spiderwire stealth and 20lb powerpro on my big rod and I have never had a fish or anything else snap it.

I am also looking at a smaller Pflueger Patriarch because my light rod has my trio 20 on it and I figure I can use the trio for bass. The trios make a ton of drag, 20lbs when I tested mine actually.

I will let you know what happens.
[signature]
Good I'm glad,I also have a Daiwa regal you might like.Just don't exceed the recommended line,I saw one crack once at the neck.10lb or 15 should be fine.I just had a shimano sahara 2500 freez up,even after I oil it.I'm puttnig the daiwa on and I guess I'll see how it goes.The 6lb in suffiux is awesome.Also I noticed the 20lb in suffix is really thin,looks like 15.t Although the first big bass I hooked with it burst my line on a hookset. I struck too hard[shocked]and my drag was to tight,plus it was a big bass
[signature]
Tomorrow is the big day, I am going to hit up the fishing shops around town and try to haggle my way into a Pflueger Supreme or Patriarch or some other high end freshwater gear for under a $100. I have decided to get a nice small reel in the 1000-1500 size for my lightest rod and put the reel off that one (Trio 20) on my bass rod.

Who knows I might end up going cheap with a little quantum triax or something in that range. My light rod honestly is way more fun than any of my other rods and I love bass fishing with it on occasion. So I am probably going to spend more money than I want to on a reel that is going to get some serious love or serious abuse depending on how you look at it.
[signature]
Well I went light reel shopping today and came home with what I think is something good. I bought a Shimano Sedona 1000FD for my light pole and moved the Trio 20 to my bass pole. I managed to knock off $5 off the price with a little haggling and got it for a modest $50.

I got it mostly because it felt solid and had a 6.2:1 gear ratio and only weighs 1 ounce more than the stradic Ci4 1000.

I hope it lasts.
[signature]
I have a sedona as well. Not as smooth, but the cost is lower. I've had it for 5 years with no problems. But the stratics are the ones that get used more often.
Bass fishing=8 rods for one fish.[crazy]
[signature]
5 years is good for any reel.

I took apart both my trios and greased them up really good and they are nice and smooth again. I was worried that there was something wrong, but okuma just seemed to skimp on the gear grease.

You are right to say the sedona is not as smooth but I could buy 4 of them to the stradic. Though I would love to own one I just can't do it without feeling bad.
[signature]
When you can then go for the symetre. It took me to get the kid out of the house before I could afford one. Then bought one a year till the recession hit. Then I dropped down to the $100 reels.
[signature]
Is the symetre really that good?

I am only making minimum wage so it might be awhile lol.
[signature]
Try one at the bait shop and you'll see. Worth the wait and you'll have it for years. Could have asked Santa for one. [Wink]
[signature]
So I took back the sedona. The day I bought it I brought the first one back within an hour of buying because it had a serious thunking noise when I turned the crank after I got it spooled up. The second one was ok but made an annoying whirring noise and didn't turn as freely as even the Sienna or a Shimano Slade 2 bearing. I actually lost sleep over my $50 practically going to waste when what I wanted was a quality reel so I traded the second sedona in for a Pflueger President 6920.

I don't feel like I am welcome in that hardware store anymore but it's not like it was without a good reason. Guess they had an off day in the shimano factory.
[signature]
Just got a Symetre from the wife for Christmas. (I couldn't justify spending the money myself, but hey, if she spends it its all good). Great reel, I would highly recommend it. Already pulled in a couple 3+ lbers with it.