Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Space Coast Report
Redfishing has been on and off this week with the barometric pressure up one day and falling the next. The good news is when the reds have been on they have been blasting just about everything we have thrown at them. Most of the reds we have seen and caught this past week have been in the 35 to 40 inch range. It has been a blast even on the days they haven't wanted to play because the water is crystal clear and the reds have been in 2 feet or less. <br>Most of the reds we caught this past week were on Top Dogs. They have been a little slow to strike, but if you cast a few feet off to the side of the schools and walk the dog at a nice slow pace many of them have been willing to play. For those fish that just don't seam to want to commit to the surface I have been throwing DOA shrimp to them. A lazy shrimp is a hard meal for any hungry red to pass up. <br>This past week our better catches have been between 0700 and 1100am. They have been tailing along the sandy areas in 2 feet or less. I have also seen a few big bulls (45+ inches) pushing water on the outer edge of the flats. All of these fish have been moving very fast and I have not been able to get a cast out to them before they moved out of range. <br>Bait has been thin in the Indian River for a few weeks now. However, if you find a school on the flats, the reds will be very close by. Most of the reds I have found this past week have been feeding on needle fish. So keep a lookout for them skimming across the top of the water. Chances are if you find them you will get a hook-up. <br>Now is the time of the year that all the ladyfish and jacks pack into the power plants looking for warmer water. I have fished these plants for the past few weeks with light tackle and have found the fishing to get a little better every trip. This is a great place if you just want to have fun catching fish. Remember, ladyfish are a cousin to the tarpon and love to give you a lot of air time. This is one of those times when experience is not required to have fun. I love watching first time fisherman and old salts turn into little kids. When fishing the ladies try to remember to crush the barbs on you hooks. This will make taking them off a lot easer and cause less stress to the fish. <br><br><br>See you on the water<br>Capt. Doug Blanton<br>Indian River Adventures<br>321-432-9470