Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
10 Tips For Winter Trout
1. Best winter trout fishing typically occurs between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.

2. A 9 foot 4-weight or 5-weight graphite rod with a softer action will protect the delicate 6X or 7X tippets that are necessary for fishing tiny midge imitations.

3. Carry one rod rigged for nymphing and one rigged for fishing midges on the surface to eliminate the hand-numbing chore of re-rigging when you find trout feeding on the surface.

4. Use commercially available ice-off paste prevent the line guides from icing-up

5. Carefully monitor weather forecasts. Try to pick periods of warmer weather for you winter fishing trip. Sunny days may be more productive than cloudy or stormy days.

6. When fishing to a pod of rising trout target the most consistent riser on the downstream end of the pod. If possible direct a hooked fish downstream and away from the pod when you play it to avoid spooking the rest of the pod.

7. Try putting the fly right on the midging trout's nose if it does not respond to flies presented with a longer drift.

8. If a drag-free drift doesn't work when nymphing or fishing the surface try activating the fly with subtle lifts and/ or slow swings.

9. Keep your hands warm by using catch-and-release tool rather than dunking them in the water every time you release a fish.

10. For safety try to fish with a partner, carry emergency fire-starting materials, understand hypothermia symptoms and don't overdo things.
[signature]
Great tips Joni. I will say to use hand warmers in your gloves if the wind is really an issue. That way you can use thinner more sensitive gloves. Sure wish I had them yesterday.[Smile]
[signature]
Some great advice on which fish to target there. The rod wt is a huge point when dealing with the small tippets. I take it even further and I toss a 2 or a 3 wt this time of year. They flex so much that I rarely break a tippet even on big fish.
[signature]
I like the lighter weight as well, but I do like the Greys. Probably one of the least expensive rod I own, but great flex AND over sized guides. That is the key to fishing cold.[cool]
[signature]