Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tibblefork Reservoir
decided to go up AF canyon to tibblefork today around 330. didnt see any evidence of people being out on the ice so we drilled a few test holes and it was about 6". fished the west side near the inlet and ended up with 17 rainbows and browns in 2 hours. water was about 8' deep and i could just lean over the hole and watch the jig disappear. finally outfished my brother who only ended up with 12. echo tomorrow!
[signature]
Oh man I think I might just have to hit that one tomorrow!
[signature]
Have you fished it before and are you close to it?
[signature]
I live in Sandy but yes I fish it all the time in the spring and summer. It is a decent little brown trout fishery and the scenery cannot be beat! I love the American Fork River too in the canyon!
[signature]
Always check the ice as you go on Tibblefork. There are several springs with warm water that make for some iffy ice in places on it. You don't always know where they are until you go through the ice.
[signature]
As usual, great advise Tl. Out of curiosity, what has been the biggest trout to come out of Tibble, anyone know?
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]As usual, great advise Tl. Out of curiosity, what has been the biggest trout to come out of Tibble, anyone know?[/quote]
According to a book on Utah fishing it said ocassionally 5 to 10 pounders come out of there. I have yet to yank something beyond 13 inches at Tibble. Heard of a decent one this summer though.
[signature]
Seriously, 5 to 10? Someone is smokin' crack....[laugh][laugh] What is the decent size? The biggest I have got out of res. or the river was 16", just curious if any bigger (in the real world...LOL)

So, is it worth Ice Fishing?
[signature]
I fish it quite a bit but I've heard of a 28" fish coming out of it. Also some big ones out of silver. My biggest was a 16"
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]Seriously, 5 to 10? Someone is smokin' crack....[laugh][laugh] What is the decent size? The biggest I have got out of res. or the river was 16", just curious if any bigger (in the real world...LOL)

So, is it worth Ice Fishing?[/quote]

Should have guessed the forum "doubter of sizes" would puff her chest again.
[signature]
A 16" is a great fish out of there. Usually I catch fish between 8-13" right when they stock it in late spring I'll get 14"s pretty consistently fly fishing using nymphs at the inlets
[signature]
I had someone I ran into above Tibble tell me he had just caught a 5 lb years ago. I think he was more likely smokin than telling the truth. Not sure if I've ever caught anything bigger than about 16 or 17 inches either. They're usually skinny fish anyways so it not like any 18 or 20 incher from there would likely weigh more than a couple pounds anyways. They dump so many in that they can't help but lose weight after stocking. Good place for kids, newbies and if you made a trip to Cabelas anyways.
And as already mentioned the springs are a well known issue with ice fishing so be careful if you try it.
[signature]
[quote TyeDyeTwins][quote flygoddess]Seriously, 5 to 10? Someone is smokin' crack....[laugh][laugh] What is the decent size? The biggest I have got out of res. or the river was 16", just curious if any bigger (in the real world...LOL)

Should have guessed the forum "doubter of sizes" would puff her chest again.[/quote]

Problem????

You have obviously mistaken me...... You do realize that would be 25" to 30" trout right? I ask the two with all the experience and know.
[signature]
[quote flygoddess][quote TyeDyeTwins][quote flygoddess]Seriously, 5 to 10? Someone is smokin' crack....[laugh][laugh] What is the decent size? The biggest I have got out of res. or the river was 16", just curious if any bigger (in the real world...LOL)

Should have guessed the forum "doubter of sizes" would puff her chest again.[/quote]

Problem????

You have obviously mistaken me...... You do realize that would be 25" to 30" trout right? I ask the two with all the experience and know.[/quote]

Well I guess I will have to rent that book from the library again. Give me a week or 2 and we can but heads then. It was a good read so it will just be an extra to post up the sentence for you.

But seriously you ask like you don't know the answer and then pop off like you are the expert.
[signature]
I have ice fished Tibble several times and it can be a lot of fun. The "springs" though are a legitimate concern however. There are 2 that tend to appear in the same place each year. The first is right near the outflow and is probably not a spring at all, but a function of the dam outflow. The thin ice tends to extend out a good ways past what it looks like it should. You can go from safe ice to 1-2 inches, fast. The second bad one is near the North side of the dam and often will communicate with the small creek that dumps in there by the dam. I've seen tubers sled off the dam and get into thin ice real quickly.

If you are approaching the lake from the dam, (as we did when they let us sled there) go in from the middle of the dam and carefully drill test holes out a ways. Once you get into 6-7 ft of water safely, the fish will be there. Better yet, it is usually safer and easier to approach the lake from the middle of the lake and walk out from there. Usually, the ice in those areas is more uniform and safe. Tibble can be a fun place for kids, as they can tube, sled, ski, and fish but you have to use caution and be in control of the situation. (and if there are doubts, stay off it) Hope this helps.

I'll stay away from the whizzing match regarding the size of fish there, except to say that I did read one reliable report of one brown of 5 lbs being caught there. A rare piscivorous brown would not be surprising, but it should be realized that most fish there are small and rather skinny.
[signature]
[quote TyeDyeTwins][quote flygoddess]As usual, great advise Tl. Out of curiosity, what has been the biggest trout to come out of Tibble, anyone know?[/quote]
According to a book on Utah fishing it said ocassionally 5 to 10 pounders come out of there. I have yet to yank something beyond 13 inches at Tibble. Heard of a decent one this summer though.[/quote]

Look forward to that[Wink] I did asked what the biggest to come out of there and got some answers, all is good.
[signature]
Yeah that sounds right but if your going to fish it within the next little while I woud get on the ice from the inlet side where the beach is. That corner by the dam had some sketchy looking ice from the current all the way to the overflow. Besides. That's where the best fishing wasSmile but if your looking to take your kids somewhere easy with fish then do it there. I'm takin my little sister here soon
[signature]
Ive seen browns over 5lbs in there swimming. this was about ten years back.never hooked one though.I doubt there still around.
[signature]
I think THIS is the fish you're asking about

[inline 100_0290.JPG]
(this is Roghets work BTW)
My Girlfriend works for the Forest Service up American Fork Canyon and said that an 10lb Brown was caught earlier in the summer.
[signature]