Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cost of fishing in Utah
Hi All,

Just out of curiosity, what does it cost for an out-of-stater for a Utah license and to use a Scadden with a trolling motor?

I live in California and have often thought of meeting up with members on this board and fish for walleyes.

Thanks,

FT
[signature]
If it has a motor, you would license it for what state you live in. When I fish Idaho, my boat is licensed in Utah. No charge for your boat here.
Nonresident licenses
1-day $12. / 7-day $32 / 365-day $70.
Some of the lakes have a fee to park/launch. Around $10. at the most per day.
[signature]
Fishtales23,hello,this is off topic,but I notice you target walley,I heard an old wise tail from a fishing buddy from Ohio, his grandfather who was a fishing fool,he showed him a trick to get them to bite when it got slow.My question is, ever heard of this,the oldman would take the guts from some other fish?then ball it up on a hook, throw it out there for walley?....I remember him saying he caught a nice one and some guys asked what he had caught it on,and he said he used a shad,or whatever it is you use for them,just thought I'd share that story
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]If you can make it over anytime between the end of May and the first of October I can practically guarantee some walleyes...and perch...and trout...and smallmouth bass. Starvation Reservoir is a great tubing spot and always produces. I don't think I had any trip this year with fewer than about 15 to 20 walleyes. Not all big but plenty of good size for eating.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We have several walleye waters in our area but Starvation is the only one for which I will stand behind a guarantee.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks, Paul. Living in Calif., we don't have walleyes here. I miss eating a walleye now and then. I mean really miss it. I'm originally from Minnesota where walleyes abound.

I'll have to give your tip a try, providing I am in walleye waters.

Happy New Year!
[signature]
That sounds like fun! My 2 favorite fish: walleyes and small mouth. What part of the state is Starvation in?
[signature]
Thanks, Joni. That works. I read a recent post of yours where you said something about having to pay the same fee that a 21 ft. boat owner has to pay to register his/her boat.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]It is a 2 hour drive from Salt Lake...heading east on Hwy 40. It is right next to the town of Duchesne if you wanna look it up on Google maps.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
So Paul - is that what you call a "bait and switch"????

Ah - Minnesota Walleyes - that land-o-lakes! Have a pal who has an annual pilgrimage up there. I gotta get in on THAT one of these daze.

TD: your HGS and I really have to take you up on a Starvation Tour this spring/summer (maybe under ice?). I really think Starvation is very poorly named! I don't think ANY of the fish (or fisherman) are starving in THAT lake! I would LOVE to meet one of them chunky 14" perch, and a walleye - any size! All my luck - I'll go find dino-chubs!

BTW Paul - I'm still impressed by your big-ass-bass! Got me a 16inch LM thru the ice. Maybe Pineview will cough me up a Smallie as big as yours sometime!
[cool][#0000ff]Starvation was the name given to the area by early pioneers...when their cattle starved due to lake of feed. The fish in Starvy are well fed...as are the anglers who like to take a few home.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You guys are welcome to "hook up" for a trip to that pond whenever conditions are good and you can get away. I am still waiting for the Rabbit Gulch arm to freeze to a safe thickness. Summer time is the right time for everything. Warmer too.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[#0000ff]"You 'guys' are welcome to "hook up" for a trip to that pond whenever conditions are good and you can get away."

Does that include me?? Smile

FT

P.S. Just looked up Starvation on google maps. Wow! that is one huge reservoir...or so it looks like. Sort of hard to tell on an internet map. Wonder if there are any walleyes in Southern Utah? Starvation appears to be a really loooong drive from SoCal.
[/#0000ff]

[signature]
FT:

Regarding your long drive, it might work out if it is part of a cross country vacation by RV.

If it is a one shot occasional deal, you can fly for about $200 from LAX area 2 hours non-stop or under 4 hours one stop (more $) from San Diego on low cost Southwest air. Maybe see about renting a tube from a fly shop. Or customize a lightweight pack in tube for air travel, if you want to take your own. That's what I do to different destinations, a couple of times a year.

Pon
[signature]
You might shoot for Lake Powell. I don't know how many walleye are caught there, but there are lots of other tasty fish there too.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey "guy"...of course you would be welcome to join us.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It was suggested that you might think about Lake Powell. Good suggestion. Chock full of walleye, smallmouth, largemouth, stripers, crappies, sunfish and catfish. But it is HUGE...over 1600 miles of shoreline...more than the entire state of California. Still, there several access points around the lake at which you could launch and tube and expect decent fishing. But even with a boat there can be a lot of travel involved to get to the better spots.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][url "http://www.wayneswords.com/"]LINK TO LAKE POWELL WEBSITE[/url][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you wanted to fly into Salt Lake I am sure one of us locals could pick you up and drive you around. And there will always be extra gear available...tubes, rods, etc. We're a friendly and hospitable group around here.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Smallie as big as mine,now that I've got to see[Smile]You guys should have seperate contest just for the ice ....."Happy new year!".... [#4040ff]Paulpro FL mod..[/#4040ff][#000000]Thanks,my biggest for this year was 6lb on my modded frog,I also removed the weight.Try one out this new year,its the double hook design that makes you loose alot of fish.Remember Paulpro is also known to influence others lifes.[/#000000]
I was born there kind of miss it,I would like to go back,I fish lake mead when I go for vacation[Smile]man its nice there.Hooked into a nice cat,using half a hotdog,first he came up to the boat when I paddled out..Take care..
[signature]
Thanks for your offer of hospitality, Pat.

I will take a closer look at Lake Mohave as well as Powell. I have flown over Powell, it's an immense lake.
[signature]
[quote Paulpro]Smallie as big as mine,now that I've got to see[Smile]You guys should have seperate contest just for the ice ....."Happy new year!".... [#4040ff]Paulpro FL mod..[/#4040ff][#000000]Thanks,my biggest for this year was 6lb on my modded frog,I also removed the weight.Try one out this new year,its the double hook design that makes you loose alot of fish.Remember Paulpro is also known to influence others lifes.[/#000000][/quote]

Nice frog!
[signature]