Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breaking in the Battleship
So after all my questions and thank you all for the information I made my maiden voyage out to lake Mead.
Got out about 11 and it was like glass

Ran into another kayaker we hit the boulder islands and I was trolling a 5 inch trout colored

Ended up hooking up on the troll with a stout striper.

CPR and was back on the troll.

Not much action after that saw several guys chumming shad and did not see anyone hook up.
[signature]
[cool]Great day on the water.I love it when the water is smooth. Makes for easier kicking in my tube.
[signature]
Thanks for the report. I've always done fairly well around Boulder Island. That's a nice ride in the yak.
[signature]
Wow, a Tarpon 160...thats a l-o-n-g boat. Must be a pleasure to paddle, smooth as silk and stable to boot. Or are you the Hobie guy? Since we never met, don't know who's who?

I have my eye on a Wilderness Ride 115. I can't justify going longer than 12 feet to fish Lake Mead or carry on the Ford Focus.

I never see any serious kayak anglers on the lake. Most are just rec kayakers with a fishing pole. It would be nice to get a bunch of serious kayak anglers together for a tournament.

Would like to go fishing with you some time. Saturday is usually the best day for me. My workload is too backed up for weekday fishing and Sundays are reserved for the wife.
[signature]
Yeah I am guilty I am the Hobie guy. I have no regrets about the boat it has exceeded my expectations. It would be great to have a little fishing tourney for yaks, anyone else interested? The next few weeks will be hard for me to get out, but I do plan on making up for that shortly after. So keep in touch.
[signature]
I really would like to get together a Mohave expedition to hunt down some of those monsters that swim on the other side of the dam.
[signature]
I spent a good few years seriously fishing from a kayak before i got my boat. I still have 2 yaks (thanks James). I'd fish a tourney by paddle craft. Lets set it up!
[signature]
[quote the_agent]Yeah I am guilty I am the Hobie guy. I have no regrets about the boat it has exceeded my expectations. It would be great to have a little fishing tourney for yaks, anyone else interested? The next few weeks will be hard for me to get out, but I do plan on making up for that shortly after. So keep in touch.[/quote]

I would love a Hobie. Which model do you have? I can't tell by your photo. Is it one of the revos some guy was selling on Craigslist?
[signature]
[quote TheWhizzle]I spent a good few years seriously fishing from a kayak before i got my boat. I still have 2 yaks (thanks James). I'd fish a tourney by paddle craft. Lets set it up![/quote]

I'm game for a tournament. Beginning around spring like early April would be a good time. We could get the word out then set up a place/time to go for it. Or we can do a photo contest where you take a photo of your catch in a ruler guide with the kayak in the photo and then post them here.

Any other thoughts?
[signature]
spring time sounds good. bass should be aggressive. depending on number of people participating three or five fish limit. biggest lmb and biggest sb. it would be good to have a tourney then burgers and dogs after?
[signature]
[quote gnelson651][quote TheWhizzle]I spent a good few years seriously fishing from a kayak before i got my boat. I still have 2 yaks (thanks James). I'd fish a tourney by paddle craft. Lets set it up![/quote]

I'm game for a tournament. Beginning around spring like early April would be a good time. We could get the word out then set up a place/time to go for it. Or we can do a photo contest where you take a photo of your catch in a ruler guide with the kayak in the photo and then post them here.

Any other thoughts?[/quote]

Thoughts,
Well looking at other yak tournaments they seem to have a similar set of rules. They go something like this. I altered to fit NV and the (*) indicates discussion for finalizing of rules.

1. These tournaments are bass-only events. Large Mouth Bass, Small Mouth Bass and Striped Bass are the only allowable fish for weighing towards your final stringer.

2. A tournament win is based on the total weight of (TBD) heaviest fish at the final weigh-in. (Maybe have JP for biggest LMB and Striper?)

3. All bass submitted must be alive and at least 12” in length (might have to change this one?)

4. Artificial baits only. Scents are allowed – squid or other cut bait is not. Berkley Gulp! is allowed. (unless we want to open it up to bait too?)

5. All fishing must be from a kayak, canoe or float tube. No trolling motors or propulsion systems other than paddle, kick or pedal (ie: Hobie kayaks) is allowed.

6. Fish Finders and GPS units are allowed.

7. Tournament hours will be(TBD). You are responsible for being on time to the final weigh-in.

8. Scoring will determined by the total weight of an angler's (TBD) heaviest bass as weighed by the weighboats. (Not sure if we will have logistics for this)

9. You may weigh up to (TBD) total bass while complying with NDOW regulations. The angler is responsible for keeping track of the number of fish weighed. Attempting to weigh more than (TBD) bass could result in disqualification.

10. You must abide by all NDOW regulations.

11. All inquiries, objections or complaints concerning any believed infraction of tournament or NDOW rules needs to be stated PRIOR to the awards.

Comments?
[signature]
[cool]I like the idea. However I think trying to keep the fish alive for a weighin might be difficult. It may be better for a photo on a ruler for size. Just a thought.
[signature]
photoshop for the win!!!
[signature]
There could be a ongoing contest for the year bragging rights. I think an actual event where everyone could meet up and fish off would be cool MBF. BBQ after. I guess there would have to be a way to determine how to weigh the fish or measure the fish.
[signature]
LoL ridiculousness
[signature]
[quote BigE][cool]I like the idea. However I think trying to keep the fish alive for a weighin might be difficult. It may be better for a photo on a ruler for size. Just a thought.[/quote]

I think it should be for kayak's only, MAYBE THEN YOU'LL BUY A DAMN KAYAK BIGE!
[signature]
[cool]In due time. Instead of champagne dreams on a beer budget I got beer dreams on a water budget.New year and possible new water ride.
[signature]
Yea yea stop teasing me! Willow is calling can you hear her?
[signature]
[cool]I think I will have a talk with her early february. Possibly sooner if she doesn't stop calling.
[signature]
[quote SEALFISH][quote BigE][cool]I like the idea. However I think trying to keep the fish alive for a weighin might be difficult. It may be better for a photo on a ruler for size. Just a thought.[/quote]

I think it should be for kayak's only, MAYBE THEN YOU'LL BUY A DAMN KAYAK BIGE![/quote]

Just wondering how many kayakers we have here? How many tubers/pontooners?
[signature]