Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Urban Fishing Luck
Who is having luck with the Trout fishing in the urban lakes? I have been to about 4 to 6 of them and have had the best luck at Riverview park. Granted I live 5 minutes from the park and have spent most of my time there. I have only been lure fishing though and have had the best results with a couple of Mepps and Panther Martins. Seeing a lot of fish coming out on powerbait but I don't like just sitting there.

What's working for you?
[signature]
I've done pretty good with powerbait or nightcrawlers. It is a little tedious but it seems to provide the best results for the stockers. Shrimp has also been killer for me in the past.
[signature]
I forgot to mention original rapala floaters. I've never used them on the urban ponds but I've had a lot of success with them on rivers and larger lakes. I'm just afraid to snag them up and lose. They're just a little to highly priced for me to use them where I can't get to them to unsnag and retrieve them.
[signature]
Yeah, you can never go wrong with the classic worm. Powerbait usually seems to work. You using the fluorescent yellowish/green stuff? I have seen that color killing it.

Did you hear that we will be getting a bonus on the Salt River and the part below Stewart Dam will be getting stocked this week because they have to start releasing water early? Also this week is the incentive trout stocking week so instead of the standard size there will be some "whoppers" being put in. Doubt any will be bigger that 16 inches but pulling a 16 incher out of an urban pond will be fun.
[signature]
Totally agree with you about losing stuff. I have lost a few mepps this year at 3 dollars a piece but it does add up really quick. I am pretty careful as to which ponds I let them sink to the bottom. You can usually tell which ones are all rocks on the bottom. I have had my best luck letting them sink to the bottom though and bringing them up from there. With the slightly warmer weather we have had they have all been biting slightly off the bottom.
[signature]
I like rainbow powerbait the best but anything with sparkles will do the trick. That's cool about the salt river. I've never fished it. Two weeks ago I saw a lady pull out about a twenty four incher out of the lake by the Gilbert library I can't remember the name of it right now but it was a nice fish. It sure put up a fight too. It was a blast to watch I just wished it was me bringing it in.
[signature]
Yeah this warm weather will make them get down deep. I actually use the countdowns on the rivers but those will for sure get snagged at less the originals will floats up and sometimes out of a snag. So where in Mesa are you at? I'm on the southeast side of the city. Weve been here about 6 months now. I haven't been out as much as I would like but hopefully that's not gonna always be the case.
[signature]
As far as powerbait, rainbow sparkle has always been the best for me too. Also done well with green sparkle. I really like the powerbait trout worms on the end of a spinner too.
[signature]
The urban pond you speak of is Water Ranch. I have fished it a few times with no luck. I am surprised such a large rainbow would come out of there. I know the bass, catfish and blue gill can survive year round but all the urban ponds are way to shallow for the trout to survive the summer in my opinion. I could be wrong and maybe 15 ft is enough but I doubt it.
[signature]
The fish was in great shape so it was definitely not a holdover. I imagine it was a incentive fish that was stocked. Thanks that is the name I don't know why I can't ever remember it.
[signature]
Gotta think that incentive fish snuck in there as this week is the incentive stocking week. I am thinking tomorrow is the day the ponds will get stocked so Wednesday morning should make for some killer fishing.
[signature]
She caught it about 3 days after it was stocked. That was 2 stockings ago
[signature]
I've never tried the powerbait trout worms but I bet they would stay on the hook a little better
[signature]
I might try to sneak out Wednesday morning and find out how it is myself.
[signature]
[inline P2080593_01.JPG]

I've used the orange and chartreuse ones with success. They can be fished alone soaking, or you can cast and retrieve them. I'll add them to a powerbait ball like I would a piece of natural worm (great combo). You can also add them to the hook of an inline spinner, this is where I like them best. It adds action and scent to the spinner and also a bit of weight for longer casts.
[signature]
I've used them for panfish. I'll have to try them next time im out.
[signature]