Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish Finder for Ice Fishing
I am curious what fish finders people use for ice fishing? I know the vexlar's and the flashers are the best but I dont wanna shell out $400. Has anyone used a hummingbird Pirannahmax finders, or the lowrance, garmin etc. or other finders in the $75-$150 range. Are the reading accurate enough through the ice to make a difference? I mainly wanna see water depth and structure and if fish are in the area. Any info or replies would be appreciated.
[signature]
I think the main problem with regular sonars is they are effected by the cold. I have a nice Humminbird that was freaking out a little on the last trip out with TD and that was open water.
Maybe the hard core ice fishers can answer.
[signature]
Marcum makes a nice lower end unit called the ice troller. You sometimes can find them on ksl.com. They cost about $200 new.Good luck.
[signature]
I use a hummingbird Pirannahmax 190. I have checked into the flashers and like you i don't want to spend that much money. I use to use a lowrance but it died on me. The only thing that i wish it had is a tri beam transducer. That way when i fish with my dad or friends i could see both jigs. The one down from mine has a tri beam but no color screen. Other than that i like it very much. I hope that helps. Good luck.
[signature]
I have a Humminbird that I spent about 250 on. I mounted it to my sled and made a pvc frame for the transducer to mount to. I also bought a deep cycle wheelchair battery for it. They are small and you can run them dead in the cold without hurting the cells. If you keep the head unit warm on the way to the ice and then protect it once on there you shouldn't have any problems with it "freaking out" on you. Just throw a coat over it or put it in the tent to keep it warm. I've loved having it in my arsenal, I can literally watch the fish hit my jig and it has definitely upped my catch rate. Use the fastest readout setting and you'll get a more realtime readout. I think that they are just as or more accurate than the flashers without the huge price tag.
[signature]
You can pick up the Vexilar FLS8 Genz Pack for about $300 these days "new"... or cheaper from private sellers looking to upgrade.

http://www.amazon.com/Vexilar-FL-8se-Gen...B002SW68V8

My own opinion on electronics is that you typically get what you pay for... and if looking for a unit to perform as well for 1/3 the price you will ultimately be disappointed.

I have the Vex FLS8 and highly recommend it. I picked it up 7 years ago "new" for about $75 out of pocket at Cabela's by combing coupon, points, and gift card.
[signature]
I have a Lowrance X71 it is older but I love it for ice fishing it has a mode that simulates a flasher on the right column and then shows the history trailing. So last week I watched my jig go down and then watched as a fish raised up off bottom and come up and hit my jig it was great I was ready when it hit so I was hooking them instead of missing like I did at the first of the season. To me the graph is easier to visualize what is happening than the flasher. If I would spend sometime and do a TD sensor mod this would be a really nice setup and I've seen some of these units on KSL for about the price you were looking for. If you find a different finder for sale go on line and pull up it's user manual and with a little reading you can figure out if the finder will do what you want. Good luck. J
[signature]
Obviously there some units that are a better choice for ice but YES, You can use of of the less expensive units and they will do a good job. As Joni mentioned the cold can play havoc with the LCD screens. If you are in a shed that is warmed you wont have too many issues. If you are out in the open use a couple of the disposable hand warmers taped to the back of the display screen I used a small platic box with a little insulation behind the screen and a couple hand warmers. I got by for 20 years that way on a very inexpensive lowrance and I only had to use the hand warmers in sub-zero weather.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Before getting my Showdown, I "got by" for years with only "low end" LCD display sonars. Like yourself, about the only thing I cared about was depth, bottom structure and potential fishy signals...and at what depth. And for the most part I used the sonar only to check basic conditions when I first set up...and then rarely even looked at it afterward. And, I have always caught plenty of fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As others have mentioned, the LCD displays on "regular" sonars are affected by extreme cold. Some more than others. The cold slows down the speed of the display and they may even freeze up completely. End of sonar.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One tactic I employed was turning on the sonar and activating the internal backlight function before going out on the ice...and then leaving the unit running all the time. Only a small amount of heat but enough to help speed up the LCD display a bit. In EXTREME cold conditions even that will not be enough to save the unit.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Another trick is to keep your display unit inside an insulated cooler whenever you are not using it...and to keep a handwarmer in with it to keep it warm.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There are other arguments back and forth as to the relative merits of flasher vs LCD display. While some higher wattage LCD units will show your jig, in real time display, many will not. That is one plus in favor of flashers. REAL TIME and being able to watch your jig and the reactions of the fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Those who lean toward LCD units like to have a continuous readout of the fish that pass through the transducer beam on a continuing basis. On a flasher a fish can zip by and you will not know it if you do not have your eyes glued to the screen.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As we often advise when this topic comes up (over and over and over)...try to get on the ice with someone who has different sonar units before you make your final buying decision. See how they work...or don't work. Then be realistic about what features and functions are meaningful to you.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Better to spend a little more than you wanted than not quite enough.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I use a Humminbird 565 and have for the last 3 years on the ice. It has been a great little finder. It also has a side display that shows realy time almost like the showdown. I have not had problems with it in the cold and I can make several full day trips on one charge of a 7amh battery. I modified the transducer that came with the finder so it would float im my ice hole. A few days ago I bought the ice transducer for my model of finder to try it out.
I mounted my batter in a small utility type tool box, there is enough room to fit the display and transducer in the box. I then used some double stick velcro tape on the bottom of the display and the top of the box so I can mount the display to the box while on the ice. It was some of the best spent money for ice fishing.
[signature]
I have a hummingbird pirranha max 160. It works great for what I use it for. It seems to be right on as far as reading the depth. I have never caught a fish without seeing it on the finder first. I have only used it on the ice and never from a boat. It comes with a portable case and a long cord for the transducer. I think I paid around $125 or $150 for it at Cabela's a couple of years ago. I would prefer something with a color screen and a few more features but it has done everything it says it will.
[signature]
Your Hummingbird is an ICE-55 isn't it? Thought I remembered that from some other post (that got MOVED).

From what I've heard - it makes a difference in how responsive - as in how quick - is the response. Do you see your jig move in "real time". Whereas a simpler cheaper Hummingbird model (like mine) might not give that good of a result.
But I still think it would help to have a general feel for depth and fish activity.
I did heard the Showdown doesn't have colors like some of the Vex flashers. So you can't as easily differentiate jig from fish . . .

Is your hummingbird colored?
lowrance x67c ice machine
[signature]
Lowrance M68c. Color LCD with built in GPS. I use the same unit on both of my boats (transducers both installed on each boat) as well as for ice fishing, in an insulated case with a an ice-ducer (specifically made for ice fishing). As mentioned, I l leave the backlight on and I am going on 6 years with the same unit and it has never given me an issue. I do throw a couple of handwarmers in it the case when using it however just in case. It also has a flasher screen, and I have used it and i like it...bu tI like the graph display better, and it is real time, no delay...just gotta know how to read it. The other benefit is that you can mark your fishing holes and return to an exact spot with the GPS. Anything you get will help, and you will get used to what you have. My m68c was $400 six years ago, I have seen them for $299 recently. You can get the "ice fishing pack" for $69 which comes with the case that will accomodate a battery, and the iceducer. I think they refer to that as their "ice machine" package. I didn't buy that, I just bought the ice-ducer and made my own case.

My M68c has ALL of my fishing waypoints on it as it is the unit I use year round.
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
...yup. The X67c ice machine is EXACTLY like my M68c unit...except it does not have the GPS feature. I used one of those for one season and it worked great, but wanted the GPS so I upgraded.
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
Mr. Rogers, if you are going back out on Saturday, I may be going also and I'd be happy to give you a demo of my m68c. I've been to Renegade the last two weekends and done well, but I understand Hawes point (where you go) is doing well also. Let me know. Not 100% sure if I'm in yet however, but will know by tomorrow.

Randy
[signature]
I appreciate all of your insite! Some of the hummingbird models have SwitchFire Sonars. Would that be like a flasher where you can see your jig as it goes down? Also what is the difference between a single beam, double beam, or triple beam?
[signature]
I know it's bad form to keep posting all in a row...but I remembered one other thing about using a fishfinder when stationary, such as for ice fishing...

You mentioned you wanted to see structure...probably isn't going to happen when stationary. In locations where the bottom changes elevation within the "cone" (usually around 10' to 20' circumfrence at the depths we fish at the Berry, the "bottom" will register as whatever the highest elevation point is within that cone. Same thing will happen if there is a cinder block down there...the top of that cinder block will register as the bottom of the lake. You will notice this when you drop your jig down and you are watching it go down according to the fishfinder, and when you reach the bottom...your line goes out another foot or two. This indicates that there are hills or valleys within the cone, or some other structure (bush, rock, etc.) is down there. That is when the FISH CAMERA comes into play! (we use both!)...here is a picture of a fish camera in action last week. The lures look big as they are closer to the lens. So we use the sonar to watch the water column...and the camera once on the bottom! I know...TMI....
[signature]
I know you were asking Cat, but about the ICE55. YES it moves in VERY real time. You can literally know when the fish is going to bite your jig with those things, amazing little gadgets. And yes the ICE55 is colored, actually I believe all the Humminbird ICE series are. I think the main difference between the 35 to the 45/55 is the digital readings in the center instead of having to read the dial on the 35 and the 55 has a few more bells and whistles. There is no doubt with the flasher what is your jig and what is fish.
[signature]
Mine is a 570 dual beam. I can watch my jig or jigs depending how close my holes are. It's really cool to watch the fish come through and bring my jig up to them and have them take it. The response is instant on the high mode. No color.
[signature]