Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crappie Night Fishing Question / old PV Report
A buddy and I went to the PV narrows on Friday and got skunked. In fact, we hardly had any bites at all. We didn't think that was even possible at this lake as we normally do much better! We could see fish on the finder but they were not biting no matter what we tried (big, small, 4 different baits, jiggin', deadstickin', bottom, suspended, in 35 to 65+ ft. deep). We fished from morning (not quite the crack of dawn, but early still) until the late afternoon (but not until dark - had to leave!). Most anglers were not doing well at all. Except for one guy that had about a dozen and a half perch and crappies he was catching on perch eyes on tiny jigs. He was dialed in! This fella (thanks if you're out there {Rich Thompson I think was his name?}) even gave us a couple eyes so we could duplicate his technique and get some action. We set up a respectable distance from him and fished nearly the same depth, but still NO GO! It seemed like we swiss-cheesed the place, hopping hole to hole, trying to find active fishes. Yes, we were using spring bobbers, as we knew the bite to be extremely light. Fish would approach the baits, and then leave, giving us the fin! There was also what appeared to be a huge swarm of baitfish near the bottom. We could only chalk up our failure to the front that was moving through, possibly causing the fish to become very inactive. My guess is the bite blew up right after we left! [Sad]

So now we want to try for crappies at night, knowing the bite often turns on after dark. I have plenty of experience fishing for crappie, however, I have never fished for them at night through the ice. So I have a few questions to those more knowledgeable:

1) Do you find it better to fish with a lantern burning? Or is it better to dim the lights and fish in the dark?

2) I assume that glowing lures work best of course. Is it better to use larger jigs or smaller ice flies at night? Do larger size baits help at night?

3) Would it be of benefit to try using rattling or vibrating baits such as Sonars or Buckshot Spoons?

Also, PM's are welcome if you don't wish to share secret techniques or honey holes with the masses! [Wink]

Thanks in advance,

Kevin
[signature]
Pm sent ...
[signature]
In my experience fishing for crappie at night makes no difference from fishing during the day. You will just have a real hard time getting them at all.
[signature]
"giving us the fin"

Know the feeling. Never heard it put that way before.

LOVE IT!

Now your answer - go prepared to try it all but the kitchen sink. I've not heard too many great reports from anywhere this season. Maybe folks are getting tight lipped about their success or maybe fishing SUCKS all over?? Just getting out this year will be a treat for me.
[signature]
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the posts and pm's of advice! I can see that we're on the right track, but just need to tweak our technique a little bit.

We'll be back soon for some more punishment indeed!

@ Smoke: As you said, you don't have to have heard it before, BUT ya sure know it when it happens! [crazy]

Kevin

P.S. Anybody notice if a certain moon phase is better or worse for night-time crappies?
[signature]