Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fly Size?
Hi folks -
So far, I've spent alot of my so called "winter" tying some flies and trying to get my gear in order for next spring. Looks as though my first trip will be to Algonquin Park, Ontario for some brook trout.

While I haven't figured out which flies I'm going to be going with I have pretty much decided that I will be using everything from woolly buggers, to adams / parachute adams, to little brassies.

I was thinking on the big side, I might make some size 8, 10 wooly buggers, on the small side, some size 12,14,18 Adams.

My question is this...
Will I be ok going with stuff between size 8 - 18?
I'm pretty confident going with size 8,10 streamers will work... I'm a little uncertain as to whether size 18 is small enough?

No reason why i can't, don't get into size 20-24... Just thought I'd save myself some tying for my first / second time out Smile

Thoughts?
[signature]
Let me start off with JEALOUS!!!!
Now, this is NOT another Form but an on line magazine.
This is right up your alley

http://hatchesmagazine.com/page/month/342
[signature]
Thanks Flygoddess!
I actually printed that up about a week ago... Since then, it's gotten a couple dozen reads! As cool as Algonquin is, there is so much water there to try and narrow down a couple spots is daunting to say the least!
http://www.algonquinmap.com/online.html

Unfortunately... I'm still a little stumped on my fly sizes. For someone who is still in their first week of being on the water... Is it worth getting into the size 20+ flies?
[signature]
It can be. I fish down to #32, but that is my area. Snow flies are micro.
I would have a few #22 and #24 in your stash.
[signature]
I've never been but I have a good friend that used to go quite a bit. He said you only need as small as size 18 in the spring. He said the eastern version of a pale evening dunn ( not western fly with that name) http://flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fot...02fotw.php
plus plus a mayfly nymph pattern are the 2 flies to have in size 18. Everything else should be larger. In the Summer and Fall you would do better not using size 18 or smaller there. Just one person's experience so take it for what it is.
If you haven't spent much time in further east in northern U.S. or southern Canada in the spring be warned the bugs can be horrendous. The blackflies come first then the mosquitoes. They can be extremely thick compared to even the worst experience in the West. Deet doesn't work so well on those flies and they hurt. Have you tried calling any of the lodges in the area? I'd suggest asking about fly sizes and what measures for the bugs likely to be around when you go.
Be sure to post pictures after your trip and let us know how it goes. Sounds like a very cool trip.
[signature]
Thanks Riverdog!
I tend to go up there twice a year for back country paddling or backpacking. Early spring and then in the fall after everyone goes back to work and the colors are out.

The 'trick' to going in the spring is timing the ice out... Always easier said than done! Anyways, once ice is out (usually last week of April) there is a window of 2-3 weeks depending on temperature where there are virtually no bugs in the park, atleast nothing that bites or gets too annoying! Once that time is up I stay outta there. Algonquin park is notorious for their bugs, not a place I want to be 2nd half of May... until basically mid July... atleast if I value my blood. [cool]

It's kinda funny you just sent that link... I was JUST looking at some PMD patterns! Thanks again!
[signature]
Words from hands on experience is always good.
Read this also
Fly fishing enthusiasts will have good luck using wet flies like midges and nymphs. At that time of year, the most productive for trout fishing, our fishing gurus recommend using attractors, rather than emerges or terrestrials. In general, throughout the season, natural colored flies work much better. Our favorite flies are the Blue Winged Olive #18 (early spring), Pale Evening Dun #18 (late spring), Damsel Fly #6 (summer) and the Dark Grey Stonefly #12 (fall).

But, me.... I would still pack a couple smaller, but that is how I roll[Wink]
[signature]
Wow, cool trip! That is a lot of water to cover. Sorry I don't have any experience or expertise to offer on the fly size. I try to use as large a fly as the fish will take. That is more because it is what I can see.[blush][laugh][laugh]

Enjoy your trip.
[signature]
So you already know when to time it with the insects. Most of those great back country paddling trips have a limited window when transfusions aren't needed. That's why I'm headed to the 100,000 Island section of the Everglades next week for a such a trip with my son. Again be sure to post pics as it might convince me to take my son there one of these years.
[signature]