Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for advice on new gear for spring...
Hey Ya'll BigJoeXD here, I'm new to these forums but not to fishing in general wanted to say Hi and thanks in advance for any info, suggestions, or opinions.

As the heading says I'm looking for advice on new gear. I have an old scientific angler's 9' 6 wt. rod at home but the area I live is not really good for fly fishing so it hasn't been used in some time. When I pulled it out of its case the other day I saw the guides were coming off and the were some other signs of age.

However I just recently moved to a new area for graduate school that puts me just south of the Adirondacks, in a much better area for fly fishing than I used to live in so I decided to get new gear for spring, but I'm on a budget of around $300, a little over won't hurt me but I'd like to get everything I need with this, rod, reel, line, and possibly a case.

The advice I need is on the gear I am looking at: I'd like a 4 piece 9 foot 6 weight rod, reel and line.

Cabela's has a few rod/reel/line combos available that I like;
TFO Professional II w/ Cabela's Presige Premier Reel
St. Croix Imperial w/ Cabela's Presige Plus Reel
St. Croix Avid w/ Cabela's Prestige Premier Reel

or there is the Orvis Clearwater Combo. All are within my price range but I would like to know what ya'll think. I was leaning towards picking up the TFO alone and getting an Orvis Battenkill Bar Stock or an GLoomis Venture 5 b/c I question the Cabela's reel based on their reviews they recieved. But that would increase my price alot, getting the combo saves me 69.99 on fly line. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Ya'll!!
[signature]
My opinion, if you are fishing Trout or Bass, the rod should be the biggest investment, then the line then the reel. The reel is really just a place to hold the line. A good drag is nice. Next you want to be able to balance it all out very well, so make sure the reel isn't too heavy.
I have the TFO Professional and I like it. A nice medium fast action. Don't forget redington too.
I would think maybe $150. to $175. on rod and around $75 on the line then a reel for what is left. I would love to send you a furled leader to try out on it too.
Welcome to the site.
[signature]
Thanks for the suggestions. I had a chance to cast a few Sage's, the Echo Carbon and Ion today at a local shop and really liked the Echo's. They seemed to perform better for my style than any of the Sage's which were 2x the price. Even though until recently I have not heard of them I'm considering them as well but really want to get my hands on a TFO Professional as well to compare. I'm going to check out another local shop, if I get a chance I'll look at and cast Redington.

Like you said the reel is just a place to hold the line but there are so many in my price range that I can't chose one just yet, need to do more research on them I guess.

A furled leader huh? I actually had never heard of those before until I looked them up a little bit ago. Do you make your own?
[signature]
Oh and Thank you for the welcome also!
[signature]
Echo is my choice. I do make my own leaders. You only need two for a whole season, cause you just keep adding tippet. Plus they have no memory, so no need to stretch and you can cast just the leader.
[signature]
Echo ok, I really liked the two I casted and I might as well just get the echo ion reel to match is what I was thinking, its price point is real good and reviews are good on it too.

But you mind elaborating as to why you would go with echo over the TFO professional?

St. Croix imperial, and Orvis clearwater were two more I was considering.

I'm just trying to get as much info as possible...
[signature]
I have never owned a St. Croix, so really can't say and they are the only one that is USA made right? Clearwater, I would be all over that one but, again, now that IT is made overseas, I can't say. I own a TFO and have fr several years. Nice stick but a little clubby. I guess I am turned off of it because of personal experiences. My rod has broke three times in the exact same spot, not my fault. I think a factory defect but they keep fixing it and sending it back. At $30. a pop.

I have cast Echo and use them when guiding along with Redington. Great rosd for the price. I have an ION reel. Very well made.

Just my choice. I like medium to slow action rods.
[signature]
Good stuff, thanks. I think I may have seen your posts about the breaking occurring on other forums, maybe. That topic came up alot when I did a search for TFO.

I think I am going to go with the Echo since it fit my cast style really well, and i haven't found anyone who said anything bad about them or the Ion reel and they have a good warranty and are within my price range.

Now to figure out what kind/type/manufacturer I want...the search continues. Any recommendations?
[signature]
So in the past two days I've casted Sage, Echo, Redington, and now TFO.

Decided on the Echo Carbon 9 ft 5 wt w/ the Echo Ion reel. Feels like a good setup, balanced very well, felt good in hand, and has the lifetime "no questions asked" warranty.

Now to the yard to put some casting time in...
[signature]
That really is a nice set up. Rajeff and Dec Hogan really understand rods.
[signature]