Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
peacock bass
HELLO ALL!!! i am a new member and have a question for anyone out there. going to the dominican rep next week for a weeks service with church group. what for fishing is in the rivers and is there peacock bass? please help. i have a medium light 6 graphite spinning travel rod i am taking. i was thinking i would take mepps, tubes, drop shot rigs and maybe couple rapalas, room is limited. PLEASE HELP!!!
[signature]
Hi!

I have a gaming friend from Dominican Republic and talked to him yesterday in one of the games we play. He met me on AIM and told me that they use fly fishing gear and streamer flies to catch them there a lot. They are considered an invasive species there but many fish them for sport.

After talking to him I gathered the best method to use is large streamer flies, but you can catch the larger ones on top water lures like Zara Spooks with the zigzag walk the dog retrieve or even Buzzbaits. He said top water lures are the most fun because of the huge explosion and ferocious fight they put up and they jump out of the water a lot.

When you hook one you should play it out. Don't try to horse this fish in. They have great stamina and you might have to set your drag lower than normal and let him play out until he is exhausted before you try to land him.

Hope this information helps. First hand from a friend that lives there and fishes for them.

Good luck there! I hope you take a camera and get some nice photo's to post when you return.

Mike.
[signature]
Seemed like all the tv shows I saw about them, they did use topwater plugs and lures. Bytebull told you a good selection to try. I'd go with a med to med/heavy rod as these bad boys get big.
[signature]