Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Solving two 2lb Test Line Problems

Here's a solution to two problems others, besides me, may have when using 2lb test line.

Problem 1
Some lures use split rings to attach whatever to whatever else. In no small number of instances, the 2lb test line I often use gets caught in the split ring when retreiving the lure. If you mess up, when you try to pull the line from between the rings or turn the split ring to get the line out you turn it the wrong way and make it worse as the line goes inside the ring. It also can cause the like to kink or nick. When it's dark or the lure is very small this is frustrating.

A Solution
I've used both fingernail polish and 'marine' goop (blue tube) to fill in the split of the split ring with success. I prefer the polish. Let the goop dry for a few days for best results. Polish is the quick fix.

Problem 2
Some hook manufactures make there hooks so that the end of the eyehook is not completely closed. Result is that very thin lines can go inside the eyehook. Or almost as bad getting the line out of the eyelet causes the line to nick. Ya, great! Nick a 2lb test line and whatda ya got?!

A Solution
Just trying to close the gap of the eyelet doesn't solve the problem. Again the nail polish or the 'marine' goop (blue tube) solves the problem. On the goop, you should let it dry a couple of days. Polish is the quick fix.

I fish two pound test for a lot of fish fresh and saltwater. I would suspect that some untra-thin 4 pound may cause problems too.

JapanRon
[signature]
[size 2]Or just use heavier test [sly][/size]
[signature]
[cool] Hey JR, I have a 2 lb test problem that is hard to solve.

My son, 15yrs old, just barely got the knack and patience for fishing over the summer. (finally) Anyway, he got so used to 4# that when I switched him over to 2# he is now breaking his knots that he is tying. Possible solution: Should I tie one of his hands behind his back? ha ha. Maybe I shoud switch him to some Spyder Wire.
[signature]

Hi there tubeN2,

On the 2lb test, what knot is being tied for what type of fishing? I tend to like the double cinch or Trilene knot (wraps twice through the eye of the hook or hook ring) for just about all types of fishing.

There was a wierd study done on the behavior of a certain pound test line when stretched to its' maximum across/around a number of different diameter hook wire, lure swivels or rings, etc.

Seems like the smaller the diameter the hook eye the more it is apt to cut through heavier or larger diameter lines.

I'll also change my knot to adjust whether the line if soft or stiff.

Only tie your son's arm behind him once he has already beaten you so badly for the day that he's tired anyway! ha ha ha

JapanRon
[signature]
HAVE YOU TRIED A BLOOD KNOT FOR SOLVING THIS PROBLEM WITH THE HOOK ? A PAIR OF GOOD GERBER PLIRES WOORKS GOD FOR CLOSING THE EYE WITHOUT ABRASION TO THE HOOK .

IT GETS EASIER WITH TIME AND DOSE A PRETTY GOOD JOB ! I USE A HANGMAN'S KNOT ON THE SPLIT RINGS , , BUT YA GOTTA KEEP CHECKING THEM OUT EVERY CAST .

AND WHEN TIGHTNING THE KNOTS , SPIT SURE MAKES IT A LOT EASIER TO PULL TIGHT , IT WORKS !
[signature]
Hey JR, I pretty much just tought him the basic fishermans knot and the cinch knot to get him started. He has now progressed into the palomar since we are doing alot more dropshotting. I have seen the trilene knot and really like it myself especially when useing that spyderwire. I am starting to build up a data base of info for a book that I am writing. I will also include a section on knots. Thanks for your help and support. I really appreciate it.
[signature]

Hey there tubeN2,

There's a lot of sites on the internet focused on knots both originating in the US and Europe. If you haven't surfed some of these sites, especially the animated tying instruction sites, you're missing a lot of fun.

I use google as my search engine. I feel that simply pointing the way on web sites is more constructive than just putting out the addresses themselves. Hope you agree.

JapanRon
[signature]

Hi there lonehunter,

Thanks for the info. No I hadn't tried the blood knot for this particular problem. With the advent of flurocarbon, I probably don't need to use 2lb test but darn it NOW.....they sell 2lb flurocarbon line too.

Yes, using the pliars is good. You may be familiar with a certain fly hook who's eyelet is formed with a point bent over to the shank. Does that make sense? Does to me! ha ha

JapanRon
[signature]
are you refering to a Siwash (salmon egg ) hook with a turned up eye ? i've also seen them with the eye turned down .

i'm very particular to my hooks when the steelies and salmon are concerned , they gotta have a rolled in point , chemically sharpened of course . either a kirbed or reverse bend , and a turned up eye - non tapered on that eye too , just a regular ball eye . size 8 is prefered , but i have fought -not cought - them on a # 20 green worm fly .

tee hee heee , i been doing some book learning on my gear . [Wink]

do you know what country manufactures the best top quality fish hook on the world market ?

HINT : "_____RON "[cool]
[signature]
I've got the knot problem as well. I've given up on 2 lb line. Kept breaking every time I'd tie it.
[signature]

Hi lonehunter,

The style I was mentioning is mostly for fly fishing and not very common now as the production costs are compartively high.

It is mostly turned up in my experience. The main reason I mentioned them is because I think the way they cut the hook wire and bend it 'in' the eyelet the right angle of the cut causes line to catch on either side of where the wire end touches the shank.

Lots to learn about the everyday stuff in fishing and I think it's fun to share. I'm glad you're hooked too! ha ha

JapanRon
[signature]
Hey Ron!! I like your 2# line solutions for split rings and hooks whose eyes aren't closed. To this point I've simply been making sure the knot is tied tight in the single wire section of the split ring (I have changed the split ring to a snap on some lures when the split ring was too bad) and at the very top of the hook's eye, hoping it won't move, but it has moved on occasions, ending up with the problems you stated. I'm going to start carrying a small bottle of finger nail polish with me on the stream. Do you use Rose or Chartreuse?

As for the knot, I've been using the improved clinch with Ande line. Going to an improved double clinch is a good idea, but I haven't run into a lot of problems with breakage at the knot to this point and I've been fishing 2# line over 30 years starting in the days of Garcia's Platyl. I usually don't put a lot of value in a company's advertising, but maybe Ande's stuff about their line won't break at the knot has some truth!!
[signature]