Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Castaic fishing report for 10/05
[cool] [size 3]Hey there fellow anglers,[/size]

[size 3]The water was just a mild 74degrees at 5:00 am. The weather was overcast from a heavy marine layer. The big dogs were jumping and hitting the top by 6:30. So were the smaller dogs(LMB). The Blue gills were back and plentiful.(no more 2 lbrs yet) there was a lot of LMB activity with Sad results. [/size]

[size 3]Only caught 4 undersized and 1 legal. Caught them on purple colored Goggle eyes. C&R. Also caught 19 blue gills. Waxies were the worm of choice although 2 of them were caught on black bait bugs made by TD. Those went into the C&E category. was hungry that's why.[/size]

[size 3]Also found out that Topedo Tommy has a cousin. They were seen hanging out around the pier at the Lagoon and maintained a distance of about 15 feet from each other. Eye to eye. Couldn't get either of them to hit. Torpedo Tommy is somewhere around the 18 to 20 lb range. The cousin looks only around 16lb. Still nice targets but they are not the Moby Dick that is still out there.[/size]

[size 3]Rainbows are on the loose since they planted in the upper lake on the 23rd of Sept. Some made it down to the Lagoon. Can't wait for some of those dudes to grow up and be catchable. ha ha. They are only around 2lb right now. Didn't even try to fish for them.[/size]

[size 3]Marine layer burned off around 10:30 and started to get hot again. It was time to pack it in and leave.[/size]
[signature]
[size 2]Great report tubeN2. Keep em up![Wink][/size]
[signature]

Hi there tubeN2,

Thank you for so faithfully sharing your fishing experience and knowledge of Castiac with us. I envision Wyane's World where both of the guys (envision me) get down on their knees and say 'We're not worthy, we're not worthy'.

Someday we'll hook up and I'll get my lazy self up there so we can fish together.

Right now it's bathroom or else! My sins being paid in full for fishing so much in the summer!

JapanRon
[signature]
Hey I know what you mean there JR, I think I overabused the summer myself. Now I have a honey doo list that is a half a mile long. No problem for me since I worked in many phases of construction for quite some time. I now have a deal worked with my wife. I give her a bid for time of a job based on how many fishing hours that it is worth in compensation for my time spent. Since I work rather fast, it usually works out at a 2 to 1 ratio. 2hrs fishing for every 1 hr worked. Although she would like it the other way around. I still maintain an advantage when I work it out into man hrs instead. I will have my son help me for 1hr. That is 2 man hrs which earns me 4 hrs fishing.

One day that system will probably bite me in the butt when she starts to use the man hr formula to calculate fishing time. But untill then I can keep working and fishing. Have a good one and let me know when you can join us. We would enjoy having you along with us. Maybe we can make it down there some day soon.
[signature]
Hey Bluechalice,

The baitbugs are a special design by TD (TubeDude). Here are just a few so

that you can get an idea. It is now the complete collection because new designs are always arrising as they are needed. These are all hand made and work well for many type of fish species.

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage0235780.jpg]
[signature]
[cool]Hey, those look familiar.

If anyone wants any info on how to make them or fish them, shoot me a PM. I started making special jigs quite a few years ago, with short tails to accomodate adding a piece of "sweetener"...worm, shrimp, fish flesh or even a small plastic trailer. The "Roadrunner" style, with the little spinner blade, are especially effective on a wide range of species.

If you look carefully at the materials in the body and tails, you may recognize some stuff from the craft shop. I use several different colors of "craft cord" for the bodies, and a lot of flashabou and Krystal Flash for the tails.

You can fish these things by casting and retrieving, bottom bounce trolling or even vertical jigging out of a boat or float tube. That's How I fish them mostly and there are a lot of trips where TubeBabe and I are the only ones scoring. On the little jigs of only 1/16 or 1/8 oz. we have caught largies up to about 8 pounds and lots of channel cats to 15, I have also landed several flathead cats up to 30# on small baitbugs and 6# line.

JapanRon has been conducting some field testing on the local saltwater and brackish water denizens over there with good results. At least he said he caught a fish once. And, since he's a fisherman, I believe him.
[signature]