Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tackle Tinkerin'
[cool]Hey, gang. I know we have a lot of creative types who hang out on the BFT boards. I am soliciting input from anyone who is anything liKe I am. I just can't leave anything well enough alone. No matter how good something is "right out of the box", I usually have to mess with it.

I make a lot of my own lures, so I obviously am opinionated as to what a lure should look like or how it should work. I change split rings and hooks, tweak the blades or change them altogether. I bend or shorten wires and thin or trim skirts. On hardbaits, I fine tune the way they run before I ever send them down to talk to the fishies. Sometimes I add spinner blades to lures that were never designed to have spinner blades...or remove them from lures I do not think need them.

I go whacko on plastics. I snip and trim the vibrating tails to create different actions, and I have boxes of permanent markers and plastic paints that I use to add stripes, spots and slashes. In fact, I often buy clear sparkle or plain white or pearl and make my own color combinations.

I am in the process of outlining and writing a piece on lure modifications and just wondered if I have been missing any opportunities. How about it? What are your favorite lures and how do you modify them to work better? I'm not looking for fancy airbrush painting or anything. Just something as simple as subsituting a rear treble for a single hook...or adding feathers...or whatever.
[signature]
[size 2]What about pin stripes?[cool][/size]
[signature]
[cool]Only with flames and tuck and roll upholstery...and maybe some fuzzy dice hanging off the mirror.
[signature]
[size 2]Now that would be a cool looking tube[cool][/size]
[signature]
Beings that SoCal has been known as a trend setter for fashions, there were a rew designs in the working for dingle balls on the rods and some rhinestones added to the tube for added attraction.
[signature]
[cool]I don't care what you do to your new craft. But, we don't wanna start any wild new trends in Arizona. So, don't be bringin' those over if you have made them into low-riders, with jumping suspension...or chain steering wheels. Float tubes are designed for fishin'...not cruisin'.
[signature]
Careful you might not have enough room for your fishing pole with all those mods
[signature]
[shocked] Fishing poles!!!!!! Dang!!!! I knew I was missing something on that last cruise(ooops) fishing trip. ha ha
[signature]