Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua report & lets take a vet fishing
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3][/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]I went to Mantua yesterday in search of some pan fish. We launched the quad & sleds and got on the ice about 8:30 and found 2 others already out there. We stopped by both for a chat and neither was exactly tearing them up. We set up just south of the knoll and didn’t find them. We moved a little further east and pulled out 1 perch apiece. We had noticed that 4 or 5 others had come out from the south road and they all seemed to be drifting west towards the middle. We joined them about 11:30. STILL nothing.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]Finally, we moved back to the west side just off the outlet break in the dike and tried 4 more drillings. Nada; zip; zero. Cried ‘Uncle’ at 2:30 and left.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]There were absolutely no problems bringing the quad on or off the ice at the boat launch. The ice was over 8 inches in all locations we drilled. Temps were 20’s when we got there and 30’s when we left.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]Now, while I’ve got your attention, I’d like to ask y’all to lend your support again this year in taking some veterans fishing. I have been involved with this event in the past and I’m looking to make it happen again this year. Only this year, I’m involved with an official national charity organization that is dedicated to helping our troops enjoy the outdoors. The name of the organization is Hunters Helping Soldiers. There is a new Chapter in Utah and I’m helping them with the goal of making the veteran fishing event in August happen again this year.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]I’ve already made one post asking for help in another forum on this site but have only gotten a couple of responses. More folks read this forum, so I’m hoping to reach more of the past volunteers through this post. If you were a Team Leader or volunteer in the past for the DAV Fishing Event and can do so again this year, please, please, please; contact me at your earliest convenience. If you already have, thank you.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]We are already behind a little in getting this started for this year, so I really need to hear from you soon. [/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I have volunteered my boat and equipment on the DAV events we have had at Strawberry in the past, and plan on doing the same this year depending upon the weekend. I know the Vet I took out last year ended up catching 26 trout I think it was with a mixture of bows and cuts and had a blast. Let me know what you need thru a PM or whatever.[fishin]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]PM sent[/#800000][/font][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000].[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm in!! I can accommodate a total of three anglers on my boat comfortably. Do you have any more details, dates, etc?
[signature]
Bob,
In addition to the scheduled event there may be some here that would be willing to take some vets out fishing all summer. Can you help with contact info for anything like that? It is a worthy cause and I think we can possibly offer these guys more than one special event each year.
[signature]
Great cause, unfortunately I don't have a boat or I would see what I could do. Hopefully you get a strong response and good luck[fishin]
[signature]
[quote WiperMac]Do you have any more details, dates, etc?[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Not yet, but stay tuned. PM sent.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
[quote fish_fear_me2]Bob,
In addition to the scheduled event there may be some here that would be willing to take some vets out fishing all summer. Can you help with contact info for anything like that? It is a worthy cause and I think we can possibly offer these guys more than one special event each year.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]We don't have anything like that set up. But it is an admirable idea. Possibly something could be worked out with the Utah State VA office. Send me your direct email via a PM and we can work it out.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
[quote perchski]Great cause, unfortunately I don't have a boat or I would see what I could do. Hopefully you get a strong response and good luck[fishin][/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Boats are only a small (but very important) part of the event. There is a lot of work going on behind the curtains to put on such an event and some never get out on the actual water. Perhaps you could volunteer to be a Team Leader or be on a team to help make the event a success. Owning a boat is not required; just a willingness to help.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][/#800000][/font]
[Smile]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
If you get a chance send me the info and dates, I'll see what I can do. If the dates work out I could probably help you out. I may also be able to recruit my father-in-law to lend some help also. He will be coming back from the winter in Lake Havasu in a couple of months, he does have a good boat and is also a vet so it might be a pretty easy sell. Thanks.
[signature]