Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
help
i had a couple of days off this last week so i went out and fished the upper portneuf and the bear river at black canyon. i did very well on midges but i had a problem almost all the fish ( i think the only ones i did not foul hook were the browns on the pourneuf and they hit a streamer) i caught i foul hooked in the tail. I would feel the strike and lift the rod to hook the fish and boom rit in the butt. this has never happened before. what am i doing wrong on the hook set?
[signature]
I don't know if YOU are doing anything wrong. Sounds like they are checking your fly out then turning. I don't know if you are waiting on the hook set or what. Could you be snagging? Like seeing the fish in the area of the fly then pullng the fly?

I know foulf hooking happens. I had one this last week and it too was a Brown. Maybe the Brown are in a frenzie.
[signature]
They might be taking a fly right next to yours, or refusing at the last second, or just a fast spit out. Anyway it happens! I don't think you are doing anything wrong.

It is great that you got into some fish. How were the flows on the Portneuf and the Bear?

Did you catch any cutts in Black Canyon? They planted some and want to know if they are staying or moving.
[signature]
i could not see any of the fish so i could not sight snag them,

the flows in both places are very wadable but what sucks is when you pop a seam on your cheep hodgman waders and get a leg ful of cold water

i caught 1 cuttroat and the rest were rainbows
[signature]