Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake is icing up!
Been getting a lot of calls about access on Bear Lake. It has really been chilly and calm the last week. Right now there is more ice than there has been all year. Launching at the marina is possible, but there is at least over a mile of ice out in front of the marina so be warned. Some of it is almost 2" thick. First Point is also frozen in and you cannot launch there. The private marina just south of Gus Rich Point (Spinnaker marina) is available for launch as is Rainbow Cove ramp in the state park. Today there were two boats out fishing in deeper water east of the "rockpile", but the rockpile itself is also frozen over. One good wind will pile up all the ice again, but its supposed to be calm, so who knows. I know two people thinking about trying the ice out off the pumphouse on Friday. No way for this guy.....there is still about 1/3 or more of the lake with totally open water.
[signature]
i hope its safe ice i might have to join them just in case i fall through i wont be out their alone. bear lake ice is what i have been waiting for.
[signature]
here is a pic of it from the east side 2" thick and looks like you could play hockey on it Smile
[signature]
I hope the wind blows like he'll and opens it all up. Just sayin.
[signature]
NO[mad] NO[frown] NO[pirate] ICE UP !!![:p][sly][sly][sly][sly]
[signature]
Pack it in
PACK IT OUT ! 
did you get out on the ice today?
[signature]
It was almost 35 today, so the ice is melting, but still on about 1/2 the lake. If anyone is icefishing, they have a death wish. Supposed to be mild the next few days too so break out the boats. I'm going to be hitting the rockpile on Friday morning for few hours!
[signature]
dang ok ill not push my luck cause the only luck i have is bad. guess ill hit hyrum or some where into idaho
[signature]
Fished the rockpile today from a boat. No ice, glassy water. Caught two cisco and three cutts with one being about 5 plus pounds. Tagged fish, gave BLFG the tag number.
[signature]
Awe good news. Open, open open water. Just need the gorge to open up.

Love to ice fish and gonna hit the View again this weekend. Just hate to see the two lakes freeze up.
[signature]