Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bubbleup Whitie Whackin' 2-10-12
Hmmm... I always let them go, mostly because I'd like to touch them as little as possible, and I sure as hell don't want their blood all over my hands.

But since that other guy was such a tool about it, I think I slaughter my next one and toss it up on the shore.
+ 1 carp hugger eww! I think he's the one stinking up the shore and attracting the flys[crazy] he he
[signature]
[Wink] You can't say "tool" on a family forum like this. It's just another crude reference to male genitalia.[Wink]

That's a modified quote from my English professor father, who used to say that so often (about words like dweeb, dink, dork, jerk, etc.) it became a family inside joke.

I must have gotten the edited version. I don't agree with Devil, but I don't think he called names or was overly rude.
[signature]
While we're talking in-appropriate fisceral romance . . . TD - maybe you oughta post up YOUR dirty list on the R&R board!
Maybe a few Python [url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T70-HTlKRXo"]plays on words[/url]? Woody sorts of words. PVC sorts of words.

[center][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=348928"]HERE[/url] you go - found it! Talk about a Carp-Lover!!!
[center]
[inline CarpLover.bmp]

That's just wrong on so many levels!!!

Honestly - I can see that tossing them on shore can lead to, well - a stinky mess. I know bowfishers who do the air-bladder pop to keep em down. Give 'em to the kitties, keep them "trained". Plus I think some have demonstrated there are worse things left on the shore of a lake than fish! Shame Shame Shame!!!!

Another 'disposal' option? How about a Carp Taste Test? Some say they are better than Talapia or Catfish (Asian carp anyway). Check out "[url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1NVUV8yhmU"]Flying Fish, Great Dish[/url]" ([url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB-fmA07gZ8"]part2[/url], [url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhGkjwxm_0o"]part3[/url]) - no seriously!

[center]"Hey - let's get Mikey! He will eat it - he eats EVERYTHING! Hey Mikey, He Likes It!"
[quote CoyoteSpinner]Plus I think some have demonstrated there are worse things left on the shore of a lake than fish! Shame Shame Shame!!!! [/quote]

Last spring while I was down helping with a "UWC" clean up on the Hobble Creek area I couldn't tell you how many needles we found floating in the water. They said that they get used in town and left laying in the gutter. Then when it rains they get washed down the storm drains and into the lake.

I will never put a bare foot in that part of the lake ever again.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
Get used to what the lake has to offer and accept it or go somewhere else. Hahahaha

Yeah Pat accept Utah Lake for what it is!!!!

Devil ......TD has been fishing Utah Lake for so many years they deeded him the entire west shore LOL[laugh]. He is considered the go to expert on anything Utah Lake (and a lot of other places). Please refrain from negative comments and contribute positive fishing experiences. That is why we are here.....Enjoy
[signature]
I can understand not wanting to touch carp for an extended period of time (their slime has an extremely strong smell) but you don't have to nuke them and throw them on the shore. Stick a knife in the swim bladder and run your knife through the gills to pop a few of them loose. If you get ambitious, use one of Pat's techniques. They all work. Then you can send 'em back to the depths of Utah Lake to be food for other stuff. Circle of life man...[Wink][Wink]
[signature]
I would rather that TD and the rest of us do the job rather than the Feds spending $80,000,000,000 plus of our tax dollars to remove them !!! By the way, I doubt that any of TD's carp ever make it to the shore, his gillectomy is so efficient that they go straight to the bottom to be recycled by the craydads and kittycatfish. Any that do make it to shore are recycled by the Seagulls, yotes, mink, and other assorted creatures !!! It is all in the giant Circle of Life !!!!!!
[cool][#0000ff]Right ye are ol' buddy. Those pics are mostly from one trip when I wasn't catching much besides the toothless golden walleyes. So I had some pictorial fun with them. And any that were "released unharmed" were far offshore and definitely did not float.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Normally I catch only one or two carp in a day's fishing...some that take the jigs and others that are accidentally snagged. Most singles or doubles go into my basket to be converted to Kustom Kitty Strips. And whenever I go perforating them with arrows I always cart away the carcasses...either for bait or for garden enhancement. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have always practiced catch and release on any fish that are not destined for the table. But when it comes to carpkind I force myself to help the Junies whenever I can. Wish I could claim my share of the fed funds allocated to removing them.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]None of us enjoy the heavenly aroma of dead rotting fish. But it is not only inconsiderate anglers or bow fishermen who cause the messes. Carp comprise the single largest part of the biomass in Utah Lake. And, since even carp are not immortal they have a natural dieoff rate, with resulting "floaters" and "stinkers". [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I would be willing to bet that a lot of carp caught by anglers leave the lake either for bait or consumption. A surprisingly large number of Utah Lake regulars enjoy carp as part of their culture. And I don't know many dedicated cataholics who don't regularly use carp flesh for the kitties.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]"Giant circle of life"? Is that a snide reference to float tubers?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[quote Therapist]. . . Any that do make it to shore are recycled by the Seagulls, [#ff0000]yotes[/#ff0000], mink, and other assorted creatures !!! It is all in the giant Circle of Life !!!!!![/quote]

Hey now - I may have posted the vid links to the Flying Fish-Dish, but I didn't say I've eaten carp myself! [crazy][shocked]
Have filleted a few for some nice cut-bait strips (those damned scales! Yeah - I wear gloves thank YOU!). But a carp fillet has yet to grace (grease, gross) my smoker!
Won't say it won't ever happen, but even if I do - I may not admit to it! [cool][blush][blush][blush]
im lovin the carp slaughter!!!![:p]
[signature]
Another story about that !!! Many moons ago, when I tried to make a living selling tackle, I would do seminars in the store on various things. As part of these, I would smoke three different types of fish, Planter Rainbows, Perch, and Carp. All were prepared the same, brined and smoked and put out in cubes with toothpicks. Three identical plates, no identifying tags. Invariably the order of consumption was: Carp 1st, Perch 2nd, and there were always pieces of trout left. So don't get to persnickity when it comes to putting a carp fillet in the smoker !! There might come a time, again, when we will be grateful to have a lake full of em !!
[cool][#0000ff]When I lived in Sacramento I almost always had smoked salmon and steelhead in my "stash". The supply always dropped quickly when buddied dropped over for watching football...or whatever. On one daddy-daughter trip to a local water I caught a couple of big healthy carp and brought them home to run through the smoker. They turned out great...looked good, smelled good and tasted good. Put the bag with the smoked carp in the usual spot in the refrigerator. Next time the guys dropped by they raided the smokie goodies and wiped it out. Swore it was the best batch of salmon I had ever done. Didn't believe me when I told them what they had enjoyed so much.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The big thing was filleting and cutting the strips to remove the lines of flesh bones. Once that was done the flesh was firm and really took the brine and smoke very well.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Is the Bubbleup still in use or was that also part of Geneva?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]It was originally the outflow pipe for the waste water from Geneva Steel. Geneva closed in 2002 but the old cooling ponds are still in place and they are continuously fed by cold springs. There are valves on the ponds and they are periodically opened to allow spring water to flow out into the lake through the old pipeline.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]When Geneva runoff flowed into the lake it was quite warm...and full of nasty chemicals. It attracted lots of fish but gave them a bad odor and taste...and was probably quite unhealthy. The water coming from the pipe these days is about as clean as any water source for the lake but is cold water. Still, if it is flowing at all it attracts fish. And the gravel underbed of the pipe and the structure of the pipe and the buoys also attracts fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Anglers trying to find the bubbleup usually have to rely on having marker buoys...or water visibly bubbling up out of the pipe along its length. But when there are no buoys and no outflow...as were the conditions last Friday...you have to know where to look or do a lot of casting to try to find the fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have fished the bubbleup during all months of the year and under just about all conditions. I do not use GPS numbers but I have my shoreline reference points to line up to find the lineup of the pipe. Then I make shallow S turns out along the line until I find structure and/or fish with my sonar. Once I find active fish (biters) I toss out a marker buoy and then continue to prospect east and west along the pipeline...looking for more fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]On Friday I could only find fish in an area about 100 feet long by about 30 feet wide. If I made casts into other water I got no love. That's the way it is a lot of times. Other times there are fish all over the area and it is impossible to avoid them. When the white bass are really thick you simply need to dip a bare jig head in the water and you go bendo. The trick then is to use larger lures in an effort to try to find a walleye...or at least the larger white bass.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Once again, THANK YOU!!! You are always full of valuable information!!!
[signature]
Hey, can anyone give me gps coordinates for the bubble up? Thanks!
[signature]
Use Google Earth. If you look west from the south cooling pond below Lindon you can see the disturbance in the water. It helps to use the historical sat images. 2004 was really low water and you can see part of the pipe itself. I'm not sure how far out into the lake the pipe goes.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I do not use (need) GPS...so no numbers. Sorry.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have my shoreline triangulations that work when there are no buoys or no water coming out. That is the situation right now. Unless you know where it is you will have trouble finding it.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I should have added that once you find the pipe on Google Earth you can write the GPS numbers down to use with your unit.

TD, can you launch south of the cooling ponds, or do you have to come in from Lindon Harbor?
[signature]