Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
porky
A couple of my friends headed up to porky first thing this morning. I had some things to do so I didn't meet up with them until about 1230. I very rarely have good luck ice fishing in the afternoon so I didn't expect much. The ice looked a little scary but I wondered out to my buddies, I didn't miss much they had only caught 3 small kokes all morning. I sat down for about an hour without getting a bite or seeing many on the finder. Then a couple schools came in and I caught a long skinny koke and a dink koke, I dropped back in and hooked up thinking I had a nice koke, then shortly I knew it wasn't a koke. It made a run and snagged my other line in the water, soon my other pole had flown off my bucket and was halfway down the ice hole, I ran over fighting the fish in one hand and grabbed the other pole and attempted to open the bail with one hand so I could real my fish in. I loosened the bail and set that pole down and ran back to the other hole to finish bringing my fish in. I had to pull it up the hole tail first because the other line was wrapped around the fish this made it quite a challenge, but it was quite the deal landing the chubby hybrid. I unhooked my jig and got the line off of her and threw her back. I stayed for about another hour and went home. It was nice to use my utah fishing license for a change, I have been hitting idaho pretty hard so it was a nice change up.
[signature]
Wow, nice looking trout for the pig. What kind of hybrid is it? it kind of looks like a cutt. I've seen some big browns come out of porcupine but rare to see those other trout get that big. You did good getting that fish in after it got tangled with your other pole.
From the sounds of it you guys did better for the kokes than most people have this winter. How long was that skinny koke you caught? Thanks for the report.
[signature]
The fish appeared to be a cutt-bow from what I could tell. (He skinny one I caught was 14 inches which isn't long most places, but about as big as I have seenin that place, he was very stunted large head and tail and super skinny. We had enough schools to produce a limit of fish, but the fish weren't agressive like they can be.
[signature]
Thanks for the report. I'd be curious to know more about the ice conditions. Edges? Is it open in the middle, or did it finally cap? How thick?

It may have been skinny, but a 14incher from there is pretty good - from what I've heard. So limited on Kokes, or kokes and trout? I know they got a combined limit there . . . man - sure would like to slap some-a-them on the smoker!

Good going, and again - preciate the report.
Sounded like yote got Confused, so just to clarify:

The ice was 8-9" and completely capped. Edges were fine. The reservoir seemed to be 20-30' higher than usual during ice season.
2 of us fished from 7:30 to 4:00 and one of us fished from 12:30 to 4:30. We caught 6-7 kokanee total. Tried 3 different spots, and only produced at our usual.
Oh and my cousin came and fished for an hour or two and didn't catch anything. He tried 2 different spots.
[signature]
I love those rodeos to add a little excitement to the day. What's even better is when the fish snags onto your buddy's pole and you are both trying to reel each other in.[Smile]
[signature]
Average koke was 7 inches. -THe ice was about 6 inches by the time I left, it melted a couple inches throughout the day. Also all the snow on the ice melted so a couple inches of water was on top of the ice by the time I left. It was a bit scary walking back and getting off. We need some cold weather or going out anywhere on the ice is going to be a challenge. Like got bait said we didn't even get a limit between 3 of us, 1 fish an hour between 3 guys not so good, still had a good time hanging out with the buddies.
[signature]