Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advise on rod and rell for bass, crappie, small catfish
Hello, I am new to the site I haven't really been fishing that much for a good 5 years but am ready to get back into fishing. I have Ugly Stick Tiger rods and ambasSadeur reels for catfishing but do not have any smaller outfits for bass, crappie, perch or small catfish. I'm not wanting to spend an arm and a leg on a set up, we have an academy store here in Wichita Falls,Tx. I'm thinking of maybe a setup for around 50.00 to 80.00 dollars. Just wanted to know if the Ugly Stick spinning rods that run aprox. 29.00 are good for this type of fishing and what typeof spinning reel. I use baitcasters but for smaller fish as these I'd perfer to get a good spinning outfit, also if possible 2 setups.
[signature]
You will find Cabelas and Basspro have some good combos and the quality is there. Go with a setup that will take up to 12lb line and you should be good to go. Med action rod is good for all around, but if you get two, make the other one med/heavy. You will use that for single hook presentations.
[signature]
Hey there,I usually hit up wallmart for small rods,I like the Durango by shakespear,under $10 ,I believe they have a 4to6,and a 6 to 12 light med action,I have one that is a baitcaster rod but I changed the first couple guides to the spinning type,its a bit stiffer rod.I see those Daiwa shock combos,haven't tried the rod but I did find a reel sold seperate, its very nice.P.S, here at wallmart the Durangos were 6.99,but went up to 7.99,still a great deal.
[signature]
I would stay with about a 6 foot rod in a med or med/hvy. That length in my opinion is a good all around rod. The Fenwick Eagle GT's are a good rod choice.
For the inexpensive good quality reel the Shimano IX1000R at $16.68 or the AX1000FB at $26.97 are good all around reels.
I recently purchased a set up for my Grandson at a super good price from the guys at beat the big box boys. These guys are great to deal with. Good luck.
[signature]