Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kona Hawaii fishing report
Kona Hawaii fishing report 1/16/02<br><br>The marlin bite has been very sporadic. Some days the daily catch board will show that nearly everyone out fishing caught and the next day, hardly anyone caught. Sometimes the good catch days will go for 2 or 3 days in a row and then shut off like a faucet. The current or moon phase doesn’t seem to be a factor this time. Just mother nature showing us that all of our fishing calendars, solunar tables and such are still reliant on her and not our science. Catches of blue marlin are about as frequent as striped marlin. The blues are still running small with nearly all of ‘em under the 200 lb. mark. The biggest so far this year is 679 lbs. And I’ve heard of a few (very few) big ones lost during the fight. The biggest striped marlin so far this year is 85 lbs.<br><br>The ono bite picked up this week so get out there while the bite is happening, it won’t last for long. There’s still some mahi mahi being caught too. It’s the time of year for the spearfish to be here but there haven’t been many caught. It should pick up soon. When it comes to great tasting fish, spearfish is highly underrated compared to ono and mahi mahi. Many captains and deckhands here in Kona actually prefer the taste of spearfish over ono or mahi mahi. If you’re planning on keeping your food fish catch, make sure you arrange it with the captain BEFORE booking a charter. Most boats keep the catch as part of their income. A few of us here place a higher priority on customer happiness than on $$$.<br><br>The bottom fishing bite has picked up a lot since last month. In certain areas, the fish finder is showing huge clouds of bait fish and big game fish hanging just under the bait fish schools. One of the anglers that fished with me last week landed a 90 lb. white trevally (GT). A 40 minute fight on spinning tackle with 35 lb. test line. There’s a photo of it on the “fish photos page” of my web site.<br><br>See ‘ya on the water ,<br>Capt. Jeff Rogers ,<br>http://FISHinKONA.com<br><br><br>