Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New fly reel
Im planning on getting a new fly reel and wanted to know what you guys think about the ross fly start reel. Im still learning and just want to upgrade a little over the one I have now. Looking in the price range of 100-150 and also need some new line. Mostly fish the provo river, but planning on fishing the weber and some lakes also.
[signature]
I don't use one but looks fine. Do some checking around though, seems the price varies a lot.
http://www.amazon.com/Ross-Worldwide-Fly...B002WW6EUY

Spools are reasonable as well, you will want a couple of those too.
[signature]
Sorry I meant the fly rise reel its about 100 dollars at most places.
[signature]
May want to also look at Allen Flyfishing "Trout" reel, I have one on my back up rod and it is sweet!
[signature]
I second the Allen Reels.

I also like the Okuma SLV. It is inexpensive, but it takes a beating and works great.

Get a good line. The reel isn't as important as the line for trout etc.
[signature]
Those look pretty sick, do you know where they sell them or only available online.
[signature]
Online from Allen, great customer service and great reels!!
[signature]
From what I hear Allen Reels are good never used one but lots a good reviews. For your price range Id say go with a Lamson Konic
[signature]
Allen reels are a sweet reel. I have switched out several of my higher priced reels for them. I have 3 black, blue, green, red

[Image: 100_0036.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3523.jpg]
And the brand new color
[Image: 066.jpg]

They are sexy reels

Get ahold of Justin or Evan, they definitely go out of their way to please. May I add, all there gear is top notch.
[signature]
I have two of these and so far they look and operate great:

Pflueger Trion 1956 and the 1978

Nice drag and smooth operation. I second spending your money on line made a huge difference for me.
[signature]
I like machined reels better that cast, just my .02 though.
[signature]
Thanks for turning me on to Allen, Goddess. Had a drag issue with my reel, sent it back to Allen, brand new upgraded drag instaled and back to me in 2 days!!! Great CS.
[signature]
Those reels look awesome I would really like the aquamarine one but are sold out Sad
[signature]
really?! Are they getting more?
[signature]
I agree I too like machined reels over cast but its the innards that I didnt like about the Allen trout model. Its almost identical to some of the Albright reels and I was not real happy with Albright.

The first 2 pics are out of the Allen Reel maintenance guide. the 3rd is out of a Albright Fly reel
[signature]
I don't know how old your Reels were but I got a message last summer fromEvan to return all my reels for a new drag system. So I do and they are fantastic!. Just had to pay the postage one way, they paid the return.
[signature]
No I dont own a Allen reel this is just from my research didn't see this new drag system on Allens website. You dont have a pic of it. ?
[signature]
I can....

Here is the one reel, and the drag looks the same as your picture, but it is much better. One of my reels ended up with no drag, but the up grade now stops on a dime
[Image: IMG_4127.jpg]

Here is the new one:

[Image: IMG_4124.jpg]
[Image: IMG_4125.jpg]
[signature]
I dont know I emailed them so I should here back tuesday I hope if not I think Ill just get the trout model thank you all for your help.
[signature]
Thanks Flygoddess for the recommendation and photos. I've been looking to upgrade my reel for some time. Ordered an Allen Trout reel in gunmetal with a spare spool in black. Should look stealthy and dangerous--even if I'm not.
[signature]